• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little OME help please!

mrtoyota

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to lift my baby 3", and I want a nice soft ride. I've read some good things about OME, and want to go with their coils/leafs, and then put some Doetsch shocks on. Anyways, there's not a lot of vendors that I can find that sell OME lifts, the best I could find was JeepinOutfitters, if you know of any other good ones, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Now for my questions. The first is which leaf springs to get. The sales associate said that most people end up getting 3" of lift out of the 2.25" OME leaf springs, I'm wondering if that's true in the long run once they settle. There's a 2.75" leaf, as well as a 3.5" leaf, and I'm wondering if going with one of those is a better option. Secondly, which coils should I get? The sales guy said that their 3" lift kit is OME's 1.75" coils with a bunch of spacers, I want a full coil without a pile of spacers. I read on JF that TJ coils are interchangeable with XJ coils, but I should expect an inch less lift than advertised for the TJ when installed on an XJ (does that make any sense?). OME has 4" lift coils for the TJ, so based on that if I threw those on my XJ I should get 3" of lift. Is this garbage or is there any truth in it? maybe I'm just making this too complicated and should just go with a rc kit and get softer shocks.... anyways, if anyone out there can help, thanks in advance! I'd appreciate hearing what others who have gone with OME have done and what the results were, as well as any opinions on the ride quality of the rc lift.

Just looking at some part numbers for coils on rustys website, it would appear that the tj coils provide 1 inch more lift for an xj. (Xj 6.5" coil part number is the same as the tj 5.5") Same goes for zj front coils. Just has to do with weight of the vehicle, but just so you know the tj/zj coils may have a stiffer spring rate, and you said in your original post that you want a plush ride...

Don't be afraid to get coils from someone else. Do some research and find a coil with the softest spring rate in the lift size you need. I know rustys has them in 150lbs, which is pretty soft compared to most. Also, I would suggest getting a boomerang shackle with a smaller lift leaf spring, you'll get more flex, better ride, and you won't bash up your shackle box every time you hit a bump.

As far as ome goes, I have only ever heard great things about their products and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. That is, once you figure out what to order haha.

Call Dirk @ DPG Offroad (http://www.dpgoff-road.com/) with OME questions. Tell him what you want and he'll get you the best setup to match. Really, I've never heard anything but great things about DPG. I spoke with him a month or so ago, and he was very helpful.

Skits

Here is my setup: OME 934 coils, CS034RA Packs with extra leaf, OME shocks and an Iron rock Offload double shear trackbar. Currently my rear shock are still cheapies because I have BPE's on mine. The ride is much improved over my previous spacer/bastard pack combo. One thing else I would suggest is a rear brakeline, if I flex my jeep right now my rear brakes are gone! :D

Edit: Spend an extra 100 and get OME shocks!

Last edited:
OME provides an AAL for about 1" increase in the rear springs. These are not harsh riding AAL's like all the other ones out there. I had two of these AAL's in each pack of my 2" OME HD springs and netted 4". Pack still rode nice. So if you buy a leaf pack and it doesn't net the height you want or if the springs settle below that height, you can always add the AAL.

OME provides an AAL for about 1" increase in the rear springs. These are not harsh riding AAL's like all the other ones out there. I had two of these AAL's in each pack of my 2" OME HD springs and netted 4". Pack still rode nice. So if you buy a leaf pack and it doesn't net the height you want or if the springs settle below that height, you can always add the AAL.

That's exactly what I did. And we measured around 4" in the rear. It rides nice too, I'm hoping once I get the rear shocks replaced it will be even better.

Here is a pic of how it turned out:
2011-01-30_21-23-43_483.jpg

Last edited:

I'll second this. When I did my rear leafs, I also put a single AAL in them at the same time mainly for cargo-carrying and towing reasons. The amount of lift it netted with just one AAL in there was negligible (maybe 0.5" if you squinted at it the right way), but they've held up impressively over the five years they've been in there.

Really happy with the way OME's stuff worked out for me; I'd strongly recommend it to anyone in the market. One thing I will mention: I do tend to prefer a firmer spring than most people, so what I consider about right may be a little stiffer than what other folks may. Having said that, I wouldn't call them harsh by any means.

Oh, and another vote for Dirk at DPG. Good guy and great service.

CAll DPG !!! Dirk spent an inordinate amount of time talking w me about what i was going to do.. i got 4" super ultimate hybrid kit.. and i know everyone says no add a leafs but if its going on a new leaf why not..
its got c5034ra O.M.E. with D22xl Add a leafs and man it rides nice
and in talking w him and telling him i was putting a bumper and winch on he switched the front springs to 934 O.M.E. ZJ coils with a 2" R.E. spacer to make up for the weight..

Also over the few days of my install he was called multiple times and was allways super friendly and helpful .. ABSOLUTELY the best service ive had from any company in any buisness..And the price was right

I personally would go with the O.M.E. shocks as well.. i got N35l and n36l Long travel shocks and man my rig drives so Nice i cant beleive it ... I dont think im allowed to post pics but thing looks awesome on 31/10.50's

*EDIT* I Liked this kit because it felt way more complete with the
Jks Lower Contol arms .... jks adjustable trackbar.... jks adjustable rear bump stops... jks quicker disconects... R.E. SS brakelines front and back....R.E. U bolts......R.E. bumpstop for the front...... And the D.P.G. disco cable tie ups so your quick discos dont flop around while wheeling .. I did this and a bumper and winch all at once What a transformation over a few days.. Good luck and happy wheeling

Last edited:
^^ you can, and should, post pictures.

Hmm it says enter url. of image??
its on my pc not on the net Do i need to upload it somewhere else to post it ?

Get a Photobucket account. It's easy and free. Upload your photos, and when you view them in Photobucket, there will be a link on the right hand side that says "copy image url," or something similar. Click it, and paste into your reply. Easy peasy :)

Call DPG, i did, and should have my new OME lift in two weeks.
i went with the super ultimate but with the 3.5" lift leafs, i told Dirk?(i think) that i read that the 3" HD lift would be best suited for my needs, and he told me that in my case, the 3.5" leafs would work better, something about them being a newer overload design,it does use a spacer for the coils but there is a reason behind it.
one thing for sure, i have yet to read anything negative about OME and expect this new setup to be close, if not, the ultimate daily driver trail blazer lift.. nothing crazy, but well engineered and functional

one thing for sure, i have yet to read anything negative about OME and expect this new setup to be close, if not, the ultimate daily driver trail blazer lift.. nothing crazy, but well engineered and functional

that's exactly what I'm after, comfortable DD and simple yet functional trail rig. Initially I kinda wrote off OME because of their high prices, but I haven't seen a bad review for them yet. It seems like with every other lift there's a naysayer for everyone who likes them. Anyways, I'd never heard of DMG, I'll look into them, thanks again.

oh, and when I say I want a soft ride I don't expect it to ride like a caddy, just as smooth, and preferably a touch smoother than stock.

and I'm looking forward to the pics:)

that's exactly what I'm after, comfortable DD and simple yet functional trail rig. Initially I kinda wrote off OME because of their high prices, but I haven't seen a bad review for them yet. It seems like with every other lift there's a naysayer for everyone who likes them. Anyways, I'd never heard of DMG, I'll look into them, thanks again.

oh, and when I say I want a soft ride I don't expect it to ride like a caddy, just as smooth, and preferably a touch smoother than stock.

and I'm looking forward to the pics:)

That's exactly what you're gonna get man. I even have higher rate V8 zj coils and extra leafs and it rides great.

Back