• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any electrical engineers out there?

onetoncherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys- i'm in need of some information that i can't find in the chrysler xj service manuals that i have. I need to know what sort of signal the ecm/pcm in a '99 xj gets from the motor in order to decipher engine rpm. I'm swapping in a diesel and i'm not sure about where exactly the 4.0 gets its' information on this matter so i'm not sure about how to go about wiring up a sensor (or what sort of sensor i might need) in order to replicate this signal. if anyone out there has information on this, i'd appreciate you passing it on to me. if not, any ideas on where i could look? I'm also asking at several diesel forums and 4btswaps.com, but i thought maybe you guys would have some different insight. thanks.

Yeah. Specifically what range of voltage (assuming it gets a positive voltage signal) does the ECM receive from the jeep crank sensor in order to actuate the tach.?

I believe it is a 5 volt/0 volt TTL pulse signal on 91+ XJs but I'm honestly not sure, it may be analog. You should see a pulse for each opening in the flexplate/flywheel. The ECU uses this to tell what position the crank is at and also calculates the RPM based off it. The data is then forwarded as a message to the instrument panel via the CCD bus (on 97+ XJs anyways.) If you know of a place to get info on the CCD bus protocol you can rip a CCD bus transceiver chip out of an old 97+ TCU, ECU, ACM, or IP and combine it with a small microcontroller to send your own tach signal based off whatever sensor you want, else you could mill the proper slots into the flywheel on your 4bt and find a way to mount the CPS on your transmission bellhousing.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/juha.niinikoski/CCD_bus/ccd_display.htm may help you figure out what data to send to the IP via the CCD bus since the example code includes portions that decode the same info.

Back