• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with locating good rear end shop W. Arizona

xjdc12

NAXJA Forum User
Re-posting this here as the local chapter forums haven't responded much. Know we are really in the boon docks, but there might be a decent guy/shop closer then the big cities.
Have a vibration in the rear end after ~1800 miles on my DIY install of new gears etc. in rear end while at home in OR. Looking for a good rear end guy/shop near Quartzite, maybe Parker/Blyth area to diagnose/repair. Not enough tools and equipment with us here in AZ for another DYI. If not there Wickenburg perhaps? Or even recommends for W. Phoenix area?
Thanks.
(Oh yeah- Think it's in the rear axle, as the T Woods CV drive shaft is nice and tight and spins true, nothing loose, pinon angle is ~2.5 down from DS, and all 4 tires just rebalanced and inspected for high spot/failures. It's a 50mph and up rum-rum vibration on pull and deceleration, worse on pull. Almost goes away on light float and getting worse with more miles).

Thanks folks. Absolute OR sounds good as a backup. We are going to try Parker Power Sports in Parker, for a first look. They have a good reputation with many of the OFar*s here in Brenda. And they claim to know and install gears and rear ends. We will meet and see and it's a lot closer then Phoenix, especially when it's likely to be an overnight thing if we need parts. I will post what we find is the issue, cause I almost never make mostuks-er misteeeaks---oh whatever. Hopefully just an under torqued pinion or something easy.

Finally getting around to posting results of vibration fix.
First to Parker, no help. Charged a bunch to R and I the TW DS and send it to LHC for several ounces?? of re-balance. No change

Then took it to Absolute Offroad in PHX. Joe had it a couple of days, drove it and checked out several possibilities, rotated tires to eliminate a radial braking pull and finally greased the DS CV joint (I hadn't in about 5k miles) and the vibe was nearly gone. Joe knows XJs in and out, but said he quit building them cause they rip apart in the center after a bit of his thrashing. So back to frame jeeps.

Joe told us our XJ was one of the best he had driven, on road, but agreed with me that I may be too picky. I asked for a bill and Joe handed me an extension so I could grease the CV joint myself. But the but-head wouldn't give me a bill- for anything, even the extension. What can I say??? Guess where we will be headed next time anything major pops up? Absolute OR is now only about 50 miles tow/trailer from out new/used winter home in Wickenburg.

This summer will send the DS back to TW for check/rebuild of the CV joint and rebalance cause I think there is some wear in there from running dry. Yes I am picky.

Absolute Offroad:clap:

Cool deal! I got raped when I first built my rig and was chasing vibe issues. I have had multiple bad bearings in my transfer case, still gotta replace them.

That is awesome he did that free of charge.

Finally getting around to posting results of vibration fix.
First to Parker, no help. Charged a bunch to R and I the TW DS and send it to LHC for several ounces?? of re-balance. No change

Then took it to Absolute Offroad in PHX. Joe had it a couple of days, drove it and checked out several possibilities, rotated tires to eliminate a radial braking pull and finally greased the DS CV joint (I hadn't in about 5k miles) and the vibe was nearly gone. Joe knows XJs in and out, but said he quit building them cause they rip apart in the center after a bit of his thrashing. So back to frame jeeps.

Joe told us our XJ was one of the best he had driven, on road, but agreed with me that I may be too picky. I asked for a bill and Joe handed me an extension so I could grease the CV joint myself. But the but-head wouldn't give me a bill- for anything, even the extension. What can I say??? Guess where we will be headed next time anything major pops up? Absolute OR is now only about 50 miles tow/trailer from out new/used winter home in Wickenburg.

This summer will send the DS back to TW for check/rebuild of the CV joint and rebalance cause I think there is some wear in there from running dry. Yes I am picky.

Absolute Offroad:clap:

that's the kind of business that will earn my $$$ without even touching my Heep!! I've got family in S.C.W. and hope to get the Heep out there in the future-- Absolute Offroad will definitely get any $$$ I spend based on his fair dealings with you:yelclap:

Back