• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar bracket bolt snapped...

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
I just snapped off one of the bolts for my sway bar bracket in the frame.The other 3 came out no problem...how do I get the bolt out? Drill and try to run a tap in there? This sucks...I figured it was hardened and next thing I know ..SNAP...

Get as much PB Blaster up there and wait a day or two.

Center punch it.

Drill it for an easy out. Don't drill all the way through if you can avoid it.

Get a propane torch and heat the heck out of it. Knowing of course that the PB blaster you put on the day before will catch fire. If it's the rear, the gas tank will then catch fire and explode. Use your head and keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Try the easy out after it cools.

If that doesn't work, switch to a drill bit that is about 2/3 the size of the bolt.

Hopefully the heat and friction will cause the drill bit to catch and turn the broken off piece out the other side.

If the bolt broke because it's frozen, it's about 90% probable an easy out won't work.

If it doesn't unscrew itself, then you will have to drill and tap it. That's why it's imperative that you center punch it dead center before you drill....

Take your time and do it right.

Merry Christmas.

PB Blaster, then try a left-hand drill bit.

If that doesn't work, more PB Blaster, wait some more, then apply heat to the area, then more BP Blaster, then go after it again with a left-hand drill bit.

I don't like "easy-outs", they usually end up breaking and causing more trouble than they are worth. Not saying I don't have them, and once in a while use one, but most of the time its LH drill bits.

Thanks..gotta stock up on PB Blaster today before the stores all close.It's actually the front sway bar ...gonna hit it with the drill and torch...maybe I'll take some pics of the carnage...

Back