• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loosey steering

skylinergtr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys!

back in the jeep again for winter as its been sitting for a few months while my good weather car was insured.

truck is:

1991 XJ, 2dr, 4.0L, 4x4

I noticed that the steering seems a little loosy goosy (was like this before). Seems like theres some play possibly from the steering wheel going straight to about 30 degrees of the steering wheel turning right. I wondering if this sounded like an alignment issue, or a gear box issue.. Coming from the BMW world, the gear boxs dont last that long and need to be replaced (this is what i have to do this summer to my bmw!). I was wondering how reliable these gear boxes are? should i adjust them in any way? does this sound like an alignment issue? I havent noticed any camber wear or irregular wear on my tires..

suggestions please.

Thanks in advance!!

These steering boxes only start to go if you like to go offroad and beat it up. On a stock XJ daily driver, chances are the box will last a lonnngggg time. From what I have seen at least. I would check your tie rod ends and everything. who knows it could be that the box has a lot of play in it. have a buddy shake the wheel and get under there and take a look to see if anything is loose. if it all looks tight I would say get an alignment

Yeah, crawl under it with a bright spotlight while a second pair of hands SLOWLY moves the wheel left and right--watch the movement of all the components to see what is loose.

At ~150K, virtually all of it at stock height with no "wheeling" (pounding through fields around the farm, and one trail ride- otherwise a pavement pounder), my steering gear was shot. Check everything, but don't assume a particular component hasn't failed.

Back