• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW & steering upgrade - Iron Man, ZJ...?

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
Death Wobble is much worse now with the lift on & bigger tires. Everything is torqued tight. My OEM TREs have more play in them than seems right, so I'm looking that way as the first "cause." If I'm going to have to start replacing stuff anyway, I want to upgrade as much of the steering as possible within my now very limited budget. I'd like to get y'alls advice before I go throwing whats left of my cash around.

Here's what I have so far:

- Really want to keep TREs that I can get over the counter at a parts store.
- Can't afford Currie steering, anyway.
- Iron Rock Off Road also too expensive.
- JCR UTK requires reaming the knuckles, which I don't really want to do. Definitely NOT ready to go full OTK yet, way way too much work for right now.
- Everybody seems to hate Rusty's but I'm not sure why.
- Really would prefer an easy bolt-on solution, given what a PITA everything else has been so far.

I see a couple of places that sell just beefier tie rods, not including drag links. Given the stock steering setup connects the tie rod into the drag link, would just beefing up the tie rod beyond the drag link strength really be worth it?

If I do go that route - Does anybody here run the Iron Man 4x4 Fab tie rod? Or know if the TRE's are an off-the-shelf part? If they are, do you know if I could run the GoFerIt Offroad flip insert with it?

It looks like a way beefier bar than just getting a V8 ZJ bar at the JY, but maybe I'm missing something. I like the adjustable track bar I got from Andy a LOT, so if its worth it I am all down with spending the cash there.

What say you?

V8 ZJs have a solid bar, but the TREs are also larger.

I'd go with a V8 ZJ bar for the best bang for the buck. Bolts right in, and you could do a go-fer-it spacer on the driver's side to get it higher.

Stock XJ on the bottom, V8 ZJ on top.

n41902041_30726274_8828.jpg

Back