• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual trans crossmember q?

Boveevil

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not sure if it quals as modified or not...I have a 97 6cyl/aw4/ 231 with a 3 inch lift/ 31"s. getting slight driveline vibes around 30mph... anyhow I remember seeing a thread here, about different parts from the junkyard. One of them was using a manual trans crossmember on my auto is worth a 3/4 inch TC drop with no ground clearance lost. Can anyone verify that before I grab one from the bone yard? Im assuming it'll just bolt up.
Thanks.

I've never heard of this, but what I can find on other sites it looks like the manual uses different mounting holes on the frame. That is why some of the after market skids and cross members have oval holes for the bolts.

looking in another thread about claytons long arms and seeing that they do offer two different cross members for each tranny.... i did not that the one for the AX-15 was lower. i would say its a pretty safe bet, but 5 minutes in the JY and some measuring would give you a deffinant answer.

as far as it not eating ground clearance, i cannot say.

Some washers or some spacers should work for a drop. Or you could get new taller motor mounts.

Yes, I know for sure that on the 96 year model with manual trans, the crossmember is cut out a good 3/4" deeper at the tranny mount. I have one in my spare parts barn that I took out of a 96 XJ when I parted it out.

The 97+ models have a comletely different crossmember design than the earlier XJ's.

As far as I know the AW4 and AX15 have the same crossmember, my '99 AX15 had a bracket that relocates the transmission mount farther back. I'm just assuming it's to make the location match with the larger AW4's mount location, but I've never owned one so I'm not sure.

I would save up for a SYE, especially if you ever plan on lifting higher in the future. But with just 3" of lift you shouldn't have bad vibrations. I'd pull the shafts off and check for a bad u-joint, you may have had one that was bad or almost bad, and you're just now noticing it cause the driveshafts are at a significantly steaper angle.

The 97+ models have a comletely different crossmember design than the earlier XJ's.

As far as I know the AW4 and AX15 have the same crossmember, my '99 AX15 had a bracket that relocates the transmission mount farther back. I'm just assuming it's to make the location match with the larger AW4's mount location, but I've never owned one so I'm not sure.

I would save up for a SYE, especially if you ever plan on lifting higher in the future. But with just 3" of lift you shouldn't have bad vibrations. I'd pull the shafts off and check for a bad u-joint, you may have had one that was bad or almost bad, and you're just now noticing it cause the driveshafts are at a significantly steaper angle.

The vibes aren't really bad...Just noticable around 30mph. Definatily wouldn't hurt to check the joints though, cuz I really don't wanna drop the t-case.

Back