• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

G2 d44's from 4WheelParts

Humpi_Wudkok

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search on G2 axles and nothing came up. I'm a newb so if I screwed up....be gentle.

I am new to XJs and jeeps and bought a 2000 sport and have been having it built as an desert expedition vehicle/ daily driver / weekend get away vehicle with the kids.

So far I have done a RE 5.5 long arm kit. I have it riding on ProComp 32" Mud tread.....I went back and fourth on axles because I wanted to do a gearing change to 4.10/4.11s...should I keep the d30/35c and modify or go all out with d44 front and rear??? Also my XJ has ABS and I wanted it functional for street driving. (I know I can pull relays to deactivate ABS for off road driving if need be) I was agonizing over investing any money into the stock axles.

Right or wrong I ended up just saying screw it and ordered a brand new set of G2 d44 assemblies for my XJ, I know it's overkill for the tire size, I know this is expensive...but has anyone else done it or is there any feedback on G2 stuff in general?

I would imagine its nice stuff, well it damn well better be for the prices they want.

Any reason for not using a J/Y D44 or 8.8 in the rear?

I believe the search engine in NAXJA requires 3 or more characters to search therefore it ignores "G2" in a search request.

Try searching "G2 NAXJA" from Google and you may get a result.(I tried this and found some mention but not what you are looking for). You may need to add some more detail to find what you want like "G2 Axle NAXJA" etc....

the G2 front is a low pinion TJ front housing with small weak tubes. Not even close to worth the $ they want for it.

I know its too late, but you could have had a High Pinion D44 housing w 3" thick wall tubes, for that price (or less).

the rear is decent. Just a small tube D44 from a TJ also. Could have bought a 8.8 though and more brawn for same price.

But all in all they should bolt right in and not have to mod anything.

^^^^^ wow man that sucks! why would an aftermarket axle maker sell LP front 44's???

On 32's I would say a stock 8.25 is overkill! Personally I would have pulled a D30 out of a 4 banger TJ and a 4.10 8.8" Ford axle. You could have probably sold your old axles and would be basically getting 4.10 gears for free!

because no one makes a basic D44 HP front center chuck new, except the JK ones and they are $$$ so they use the only readily avail D44 centers, TJ ones, which they also get direct from Jeep all set up with the stock thin brackets and tubes.

Thanks for the feedback and comments....

I just want them to hold up with out me thinking I am going to blow the rear dif apart or lose a wheel at some point. I am going with ARB air lockers front and rear.

The key thing that was appealing was "bolt right up" and all the other options seemed like a huge engineering exercise coupled with a lot of down time.

I was going to leave the old axles with the installer and trash them. Should I keep them and sell the on craigslist? What is the market value?

Thanks for the feedback and comments....

I just want them to hold up with out me thinking I am going to blow the rear dif apart or lose a wheel at some point. I am going with ARB air lockers front and rear.

The key thing that was appealing was "bolt right up" and all the other options seemed like a huge engineering exercise coupled with a lot of down time.

I was going to leave the old axles with the installer and trash them. Should I keep them and sell the on craigslist? What is the market value?

About $250 for both. putting any axle in the rear is easy on an XJ because it has leaf springs!

I just googled these axles, and holy shit are they expensive!

Are you planning on going bigger than 32's?

I just googled these axles, and holy shit are they expensive!

Are you planning on going bigger than 32's?

I agree....they were expensive.....I am having them installed too with the ARB compressor and all the gear so I am paying labor. I am almost ashamed to say that....but that's the reality of being in my 40's with a bunch of little kids and no time to work on projects.

I am not planning on going bigger than 32. So far the 32s seem to fit in my wheel wells with out a rub. I figure with the drive line I just bought the bottom of my XJ should be well built for that tire size.

unless you plan on going larger than 35's you shouldn't have a problem with geared and lock 30/44 or 30/8.8 with some alloy axles.

I agree....they were expensive.....I am having them installed too with the ARB compressor and all the gear so I am paying labor. I am almost ashamed to say that....but that's the reality of being in my 40's with a bunch of little kids and no time to work on projects.

I am not planning on going bigger than 32. So far the 32s seem to fit in my wheel wells with out a rub. I figure with the drive line I just bought the bottom of my XJ should be well built for that tire size.

Ultimately it is your rig and if you are happy with the axles, then let that be it. For the tire size you want to run, those axles will be more than adequate and will last a long, long time.

Bolt in, turnkey, off the shelf parts with a warranty is worth a lot more than many people think.

It's a little late to be researching the axles after you already bought them...:D

If all you're doing is 32s, you would've been fine with the D30 and a little beefing. The 35 sucks, but an or 8.25, XJ D44 would've swapped right in with the proper driveshaft length, and an 8.8 Ford would've been an easy swap. Heck, be patient and vigilant, and you can find killer deals. I got my XJ D44 with chromo shafts, Detroit softlocker, geared, with a disc swap for $1000 from a member here. I regeared my front 30 to match and it's been wheeling fine since. So really,

damn. you are pissing away a lot of money that could be going into other things

i dont believe he is "pissing" away anything. hes gonna wheel his rig. he has many priorities ahead of this. he has the money to be able to get it all done without disrupting every other aspect of his life, cause we all know, when we do the labor and put the time into it is does eventually affect everything in one form or another. its not like he bought a super 35 kit or something. give the guy a break.

i think you did fine. youll be more than strong enough for the 32's(and with some trimming you can fit bigger shoes in there by the way), you wont have a lot of down time, and youll be confident when your out wheeling next time.

you did things in a bit different fashion than most here might(weather cause they can do the fab work themselves, like to get dirty, or just cant afford to go down the route you did) but dont let the asses take your thunder. and lastly, always feel free to post up pictures of your rig!!

Interesting...the G2 D44 front that is prepped for our Jeepspeed doesn't have the small weak tubes...

dont know what you ordered...

But I just left SEMA and took this picture of thier D44 front for a TJ/XJ yesterday, and can without a doubt Confirm that the front D44 has Stock TJ tubes (as well as brackets) and that would mean small 2.5" x .25"...

heres a picture even, hard to see in this picture though. I took it for knuckle reasons and just showing that I did indeed see it in person. no hear say..

IMG_1646.jpg

Last edited:
Back