• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why can't I find the right oil filter??

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ, 4.0 non-HO

For some reason I can't get any oil filters to thread on, the threads are find but all the filters specified in the books are wrong. I know my 93's purolater number was L14670 but what would be the purolater number for my 90' cherokee??

No

The HO (91&up) and the non-HO (90&dwn) use a different filter. The threads on the non-HO are metric and the threads on th HO are inch. There is a sticker on the HO's firewall above the filer that states the change. You can't use a left over filter from your '93 on your '90.

I thought they were different, I saw the sticker, but then I got out a fram book and they were the same. I guess that's why I was confused.

you can convert the threads/fitting to the HO style. Check out madxj.com.

Dealer part, I believe. But if you can't find any to fit that might be the way to go. I use fram, and can always find them in Wal-Mart, or K&N in Advanced auto parts. Juice

What is the fram part #??

i would advise against using fram oil filters. I have heard/seen reports of frams filter material starting to break apart at the 3000 mile mark. and i know of a guy that has found fram filters on the shelf with surface rust on them.:eek: course that could be anything. anyway i have heard from several places that fram is not the best. some i know have actually taken the time to cut filters open just to see the insides and have been disappointed with fram. They have all agreed to NAPA (wix) to being the best filter. so i have gone that route. Just some info thought was valid here.

Thanks satan (man that seems weird ):D, that was exactly what I was looking for.

i would advise against using fram oil filters. I have heard/seen reports of frams filter material starting to break apart at the 3000 mile mark. and i know of a guy that has found fram filters on the shelf with surface rust on them. course that could be anything. anyway i have heard from several places that fram is not the best. some i know have actually taken the time to cut filters open just to see the insides and have been disappointed with fram. They have all agreed to NAPA (wix) to being the best filter. so i have gone that route. Just some info thought was valid here.

I don't use fram, I was just cross-referencing. Personally I've always used purolater, they're cheap and have great filtering specs. But in reality, most oil filters are probably made at the same place (most, not all) just like everythin else.

"But in reality, most oil filters are probably made at the same place (most, not all) just like everythin else." (CJS)

They may be from the same place but it seems they're different inside. I sawed a bunch open a few years ago, and found substantial differences, both in the number of pleats and in the material. I don't remember all the details, but K&N and Bosch filters had more pleats than the generic ones from Napa and Parts Master, etc. The K&N material also was very stiff, and the case really was made of thicker metal. I didn't have a Fram to test. I've been using Wix filters recently, because my local parts store carries them, and I'm just guessing that Dana wouldn't foist off a crappy filter on us. I'll have to open one of them up some day. I found on my 87 that Bosch and K&N filters both gave higher running oil pressure than the others too. It isn't a very scientific study, since I don't know the filtration qualities of the material, but it's interesting anyway. Filters really do vary a good deal.

That article is interesting. Only problem is that it leaves me wondering if I can win. I understand that frams are crap-and I am reluctant that it is what is on my jeep now. But there seems to be problems with all of them, it seems like purolator and wix are the better choices of the bunch, but what the heck, it sounds like they are all crap in a can.
Dustin

Yeah - so change em often !

The whole filter concept is a compromise -- filter efficiency /v/ pressure drop in the ideal world, and the price on the shelf /v/ market share in the real world...

... same thing happens in the air filter world...

Any ideas on where I can find Wix filters in Northern CO --> Denver??

(edit) Nevermind---http://www.wixfilters.com/wheretobuy/index.asp I used to run Wix all the time when working on base in SouthCal, but haven't seen them anywhere. That search told me why...

wix is a big "private label" manufacturer, meaning they put other names on their filter.... alot of OEM's use wix as a source.... correct me if i'm wrong but i am under the impression that mopar filters are Wix... i was shocked to see fram and k&n suggested in the same post.. K&n or mopar for me!
fram = bad ju-ju
mike
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html
i dont know if thats the same link as before...

About how the filter material is made, yes there are big differences. It has been mentioned that the diferences can be seen, and that there are tradeoffs. Here is some info on the filter medium. I worked in the pulp &paper industry a few years ago and our mill was visited by a guy from the cmpany that made the filter paper for a bunch of companies. He said there are different specs from these companies. Additionally, his company bought fiber from many sources (long fiber pine, short fiber hardwood, flat fiber and round fiber) to allow his company to produce the paper to specs. So yes ther is a big difference in the paper inside the can. I'm shouldn't say, but at that time Lee was using the best paper his company made, and Fram some of the worst.

Read the website several times over the past few years, not sure. Used Fram filters on my 1990 Suburban w/454 cuin for over 125K miles, now use K&N (get a discount). Changed oil every 3K miles and the Suburban just keeps on oving down the road.

I like using the Mopar filter on my '87. With the filter being mounted upside-down, it seems the oil doesn't drain out of the Mopar filter after sitting all night, so oil pressure builds up faster on the first start in the morning. Before I did the gauge cluster swap, it was really obvious with the oil light, first start in the morning with the Mopar, the light would go out about the same time the engine fired off, with other filters I tried, the light would go off after the engine started and ran 1-2 seconds. Anyone else notice this? Or does my engine have some oil pressure issue the Mopar filter is hiding! :D

Mopar filter for non-HO: 5012968AA ( was 33004195 )

I use nothing but Purolator oil filters. The '88 has 239,000+ miles and no problems. I believe the Purolator part number for the non-HO is 41619, but please double check that in an application book.

Back