• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide what to do with these awesome wheels

Rushin

NAXJA Forum User
Got a pretty good deal on a set of Aluminum American Racing wheels. They are 15x8 4" backspacing. The wheels came with some 32x11.5 m/t tires. I thought i try and out them on the car and they sure as hell don't fit on a stock non lifted xj. But I knew that from the get go.

However what Is worring me is how much they stick out past the fenders. It looks like they are sticking out about 4". I cant tell if its mostly the tire or the wheels.

So what I need to figure out is how badly they will stick out with 30x9.5 tires.

Does anyone have a picture of there xj with 4" backspacing wheels and no lift?

I am eventually going to do a 3.5" lift so it might look a little better.

So I am deciding if i want to flip these, swap tires or keel them around till I get a lift and new over fenders.

Here is how it looks.

0b9445e4.jpg

a7e118ec.jpg

Here compared to my 30x9.5

04180ac1.jpg

5012e46a.jpg

Last edited:
Without a lift it will look like a lowrider... ie stupid. Ive seen plenty and shake my head every time. Just wait till you can lift it and then throw em on. Nothing wrong with the wheels themselves its just that the backspacing without lift just doesnt have the right ratio to the human eye.

i think you should use them to decorate the least populated room in your house.

while it doesnt quite look 'lowrider', it still doesnt look good. save the backspaced wheels for when you need it! the pic in question can get you mud guard tickets... and you're on 30's?!?

Sorry I don't have a front shot of it with those tires on it. Here is the only front shot I have on my computer of it. This was about 2 weeks after that last picture. However this is still on the 15x8 rims with 4" backspace.
004-1.jpg

here is the only picture i have of my old stroked jeep... 30x9.50 on stock (YJ) wheels. 5.25 backspacing. the didnt rub at all, i had full lock to lock turning. your results may vary if your springs are in poor condition. the didnt stick out past the fenders at all either. i couldnt imagine less backspacing hurting you. but if those BFGs have decent tread left i would hold onto them for when you lift.

l_4142998b3bbb427bbab31ca1dad8d9f0.jpg

Here's some pics of mine with 30 x 9.50's on gambler style rims. I do have a 2" budget lift tho. tires do not sstick out past flares, and no rubbing at all

DCP_0031.jpg

DCP_0030.jpg

Sorry, no head on shots

Damn, even with a lift they will stick out a crap load. I need 4.5" back spacing or some much bigger over fenders. What are some cheaper options for fender flares?

What are some cheaper options for fender flares?

TJ rear flairs on all 4 corners, they should cover the tires pretty good for you

i say trim and run the 32 on stock :D

I guess I either need to get a lift or some flares. When you lift the suspension don't the wheels tuck in a little because control arms move down? Does it even make sense what I just said?

I guess I either need to get a lift or some flares. When you lift the suspension don't the wheels tuck in a little because control arms move down? Does it even make sense what I just said?
The front wheels will sit a little farther back in the wheel wells if you don't use adjustable arms so you basically lose some of your wheelbase.

Back