• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar joint.

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a RE Track Bar (1600), and the heim joint is shot, and causing all sorts of play. I dont want another heim joint because I think they suck. Its 3/4 LH thread, so can I just get a Johnny Joint, same size for it and have it work properly?

Thanks!

With the way the RE1600 mounts I don't think getting a cartridge joint would be a good idea as I don't see you having enough range of movement during suspension travel.

I don't think it is necessarily the rod ends fault, it really is a poor method of attaching the panhard to the frame. It works, but it isn't ideal. The cheapest solution would be to purchase a quality rod end and not a cheap one. Other than that you are looking at changing the way the panhard mounts at the frame side.

I think Johnny Joints have 30 degrees of misalignment, heims are what? 34 degrees? I don't think that would be a problem. The thing I would be worried about is that the 2" JJ only uses a 7/16" bolt, which IMO is too small, especially when used in single shear. You would also have to modify your current mount since the 3/4" heim uses either a 9/16" or 5/8" bolt.

If you're looking for a cheap fix I would just grab another heim or two from Ruffstuff.

I believe the RE track bar also uses a combination of a heim and misalighnment spacers that add up to 1.75" wide. So your re mount wont work with a 2" wide joint. I just had to make a custom Trackbar bracket for WaXJ Skier last week.

I believe the RE track bar also uses a combination of a heim and misalighnment spacers that add up to 1.75" wide. So your re mount wont work with a 2" wide joint. I just had to make a custom Trackbar bracket for WaXJ Skier last week.

Its wider than 1.75" it's closer to 2" I had 2 or 3 washers on mine to take up the extra space, I think the RE joints probably come with even wider/thicker misalignment spacers.

With the way the RE1600 mounts I don't think getting a cartridge joint would be a good idea as I don't see you having enough range of movement during suspension travel.
Should be fine considering it's pivoting around the bolt.

The RE1600 doesn't pivot around the bolt, the bolt is mounted vertically and trackbar pivots using the misalignment in the joint. It's also mounted in single shear so the width doesn't really matter.

The RE1600 doesn't pivot around the bolt, the bolt is mounted vertically and trackbar pivots using the misalignment in the joint. It's also mounted in single shear so the width doesn't really matter.

in that case, get a new heim and TB bracket that will have a horizontal bolt. I was thinkng he was using a 1665 which would have it pivoting around the bolt. That's how I had my setup, I wasn't using a 1600 though

Im not sure I really know what any of this even means. The track bar does pivot like "9T3XJ" says, so cant I just unscrew the worn heim joint, and then screw back in another one, like the JJoint? Im not seeing how this would mess anything up.

Im not sure I really know what any of this even means. The track bar does pivot like "9T3XJ" says, so cant I just unscrew the worn heim joint, and then screw back in another one, like the JJoint? Im not seeing how this would mess anything up.

if the bolt is vertical you are relying on the misalignment of the joint. A helm with high misalignment spacers are greater than 70* of movement. Most other joint types are not going to match that so the joint will like seize and break when articulating.

You can just unscrew the heim and put another heim in, but going to a JJ changes things. I really don't think misalignment is going to cause problems, I simply wouldn't do it because the a 2" JJ uses an smaller bolt. Not only do I not think the bolt is strong enough but you would have to reduce the size of the of the hole in your track bar mount for it to fit.

I used to have the RE1600 track bar, I sold it and went to a horizontal mount like WaXJ_Skier suggested.

You can just unscrew the heim and put another heim in, but going to a JJ changes things. I really don't think misalignment is going to cause problems, I simply wouldn't do it because the a 2" JJ uses an smaller bolt. Not only do I not think the bolt is strong enough but you would have to reduce the size of the of the hole in your track bar mount for it to fit.

I used to have the RE1600 track bar, I sold it and went to a horizontal mount like WaXJ_Skier suggested.

Don't have to get rid of the 1600 to switch just move to a 1665 bracket or similar (hint talk to redrider2911) and rotate the rod end 90*

Back