• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoothing the ride

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need shocks for the XJ. The set I have now just do not cut it. Bilstein is the shock of choice. However, I do not understand valving and how it will help or hurt the ride both on road and off? I do about 85% of my driving at highway speeds. The 5100 and 5150 are on my short list. What does 255/70 mean? Which number is the drop and which is compress?

I've run 5150's in 170/50 and 255/70. You want the stiffer of the two (255/70). I'd probably be willing to put 170/50 on the back of an MJ that never ever see's a load, but it's a little too soft for normal use. They run two 170/50's side by side in dual shock configs, and the stiffer yet, I think 385/85? on IFS applications.

-C

"The ratings of damping forces, are measured in Newtons at a velocity of 0.52 meters per second(approx.20 inches per second). Newtons are the units of force equal to the force that produces an acceleration of 1 meter per second on a mass of 1 kilogram. When written, valve ratings are represented as 1/10 the damping force in Newtons. For example, a shock wwith a rebound force of 2,750 Newtons at 0.52 meters per second would have a vavle rating of 275/78. Higher numbers mean higher or firmer damping forces and lower numbers mean less." -4wheel drive and sport utility

Hope this helps a bit^^^, its not my brain but that does not matter now does it. JOE>

I just installed 5150's with 255/70 valving and I love it. My XJ is a daily driver that sees some trail abuse. I was running RE mono-tubes and I notice a tremendous improvement the second I drove it out of the driveway.

Just make sure you measure correctly and get teh rigth length shock. If you get teh 5150's, remember they are eye-to-eye. You can find adapters (shockwharehouse.com) or use bar pin eliminators and upper shock adapters (front) from JKS or other supplier. Just take into consideration the chage of length when you install the BPE or other adpater. Mine was about 2" shorter with BPE and adapters installed.

Good Luck!

Now I got it. I think the 255/70 should do me good. I need the firmer ride for those high speed corners that I like to take. I alsocarry about 200 lbs of tools and supplies in the back.

Highspeed corners?

My friend lost a wheel that way.

Although some other factors are involved.......

Apparently some shady charactors at his college loosened up the lugs on his drivers side rear wheel on his Bronco......I believe those tires are like 32"s or something.......fawked up the drum on that side really good.

Back