• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This Might Get a Prize for the Weirdest Problem

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 90 cherokee all stock besides a RE 4.5 inch lift kit that I put in last year. So I got this really weird thing going on and its just bugging me not having a clue whats going on. It is possible that it is in some way related to the lift since I do not recall noticing it before that.

Anyway here is the problem. Every time the I climb a steep hill with the Jeep I smell this weird smell, its hard to describe. Its not really a burnt smell it smells more like something cooking in your oven. It does not overheat I just get this smell and as soon as I am done climbing the hill it goes away. So if anyone has any ideas on what to check I would appreciate having some idea what this could be.

check your intake manifold for hot pockets.

i left one there before and forgot about it

check your intake manifold for hot pockets.

i left one there before and forgot about it

Did you eat it after you found it all nice and hot? You know you thought about it!

So I have a 90 cherokee all stock besides a RE 4.5 inch lift kit that I put in last year. So I got this really weird thing going on and its just bugging me not having a clue whats going on. It is possible that it is in some way related to the lift since I do not recall noticing it before that.

Anyway here is the problem. Every time the I climb a steep hill with the Jeep I smell this weird smell, its hard to describe. Its not really a burnt smell it smells more like something cooking in your oven. It does not overheat I just get this smell and as soon as I am done climbing the hill it goes away. So if anyone has any ideas on what to check I would appreciate having some idea what this could be.

Didn't see the "oven" part.

Did you have your radio tuned to an "Oldies but Goodies" station? Perhaps Blueberry (pie) Hill was playing? The mind can play strange tricks on you. :D

Seriously, can you give a little more info?

It's hard to imagine a Jeep dripping any fluids, but what if you are dripping something but the act of going up a steep hill causes it to roll backwards onto the exhaust. I'd look around for any burnt maple syrup.

Wait a minute, do you have an electric oven or gas? Are you smelling wires heating up?

Didn't see the "oven" part.

Did you have your radio tuned to an "Oldies but Goodies" station? Perhaps Blueberry (pie) Hill was playing?

I FOUND MY THRILL, ON BLUEBERRY HILL!

Hahahaha!

As long as it's not fish or cheese (real bad smellin stuff on manifolds) I'd say bon apetite.

For the real problem I am leaning toward your power steering fluid leaking back on to the manifold. Check that first as I have seen more than one rig catch fire from PS fluid leaking on the manifold under the exact conditions you describe.

I had a "hot" smell from two locations, one was the connectors for the environment controls in the dash, the other was the carpet melting under the back seat just above the muffler.

It's hard to imagine a Jeep dripping any fluids, but what if you are dripping something but the act of going up a steep hill causes it to roll backwards onto the exhaust. I'd look around for any burnt maple syrup.

Wait a minute, do you have an electric oven or gas? Are you smelling wires heating up?
I can only imagine that you meant either "it's hard to imagine a Jeep NOT dripping any fluids" or that they pour fluids rather than dripping them.

Check your downpipe where it crosses under the transmission for burnt fluid residue.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? Not to alarm you... just in case of a car-b-que...

How about a stinky cat. The one near the muffler. Not the one that decided last night that a warm engine may be a good place to spend some time.
Climbing a hill causes the cat to get hotter than normal, flowing more exhaust containing all those nasty hydrocarbons that need to be taxed-oops I mean burned off. Back in the day, the old style cats would lay down a sulfur smell. The newer ceramic jobs aren't so bad.

Back