• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made sway bar drops

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have pics off sway bar drops they have made/seen. I have a 4 in rusty's lift on my 89' cherokee. I have no need to disconect my sway bar and I want it back on. Rusty's has taken over 1 month to ship me their product ( drop kit) so I figure money lost.... lesson learned. Want to make my own... thanks!

Ive never seen a set of home made drops or disconnects that were worth having. Most people dont have the equipment to make them out of the proper materials and wind up using trash metal tubing that they buy at Lowes.

I figured as much but I work for a crop dusting company so I have the equipment to do it right. I want to make it out of 1/8 inch C channel and make the holes a little longer so I can adjust it forward as well as down. As it is my links are stuffed way into the coils even when I put a two inch spacer in my stock links (which was done right). Thanks though.

downhillracer said:
I want to make it out of 1/8 inch C channel and make the holes a little longer so I can adjust it forward as well as down.
I would think that'd work fine even though I personally feel that the links ought to be lengthened instead.

No pics but I used Ford F-250 rear links (maybe it was Chevy 2500 rears?) with a hitch pin at the bottom and a wing nut on the top. Perfect length for 4-5.5" lift. The offset was same as stock XJ but they were longer and had threaded tops. I use to run pins on the top (I drilled a hole) but the wing nuts never backed off between monthly wheeling trips so I dont bother with the saftey pins anymore.

John

The swaybar drops are used to move the swaybar down and forward; it keeps the ends of the swaybar out of the coils. Simply lengthening the links isn't enough.

Yucca-Man said:
The swaybar drops are used to move the swaybar down and forward; it keeps the ends of the swaybar out of the coils. Simply lengthening the links isn't enough.
x2

Yucca-Man said:
Ah. I didn't know they moved them forward as well. Good to know; thanks for the info.

Look at the RE swaybar drops (RE9921):
324.jpg

I've heard of people using thick-wall box tubing to do the same.

Back