• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock questions.

itbrokeagain

NAXJA Forum User
I broke both upper bar pin bolts on one of my rear shocks. What is the best way to get these out? Will the stock shocks be ok with a 2 inch spacer and shackle lift? Is there a oem shock that can go on if they wont? Should I anti seize my upper shackle bolts? I will do a search when I get off work and have some time but I thought I would ask in the mean time. Thanks

For the broken bolts, I bet every one of us that has removed those things has snapped them, at least one! Either drill them out and re-tap, or cut a whole out of your hatch area above where the bolts go through, drill it out, and nut the bolts.

I am running just under a 2in lift with OEM shocks. I measured the geometry, and I figured at about this high of a lift, the shocks make a nice down travel limiter. And, has been working out really well. You probably wont need to space your shocks, but wont hurt.

There was once a spreadsheet going around that had a list of OEM shocks from other vehicles that worked with certain amounts of lift on the XJ. There should be good documentation on that somewhere, lots of people go that route.

For your upper shackle bolts... I think the blue lock-tite would be more appropriate? I used ny-locks for the lower bolts... Its more of a worry for them to come lose, then for them to be a little stuck. Good luck to you!

Either drill them out and re-tap, or cut a whole out of your hatch area above where the bolts go through, drill it out, and nut the bolts.

Why the hell would someone do all that work?

I got all 4 of mine out in 30sec using a Air Chisel. I then just used new nuts, and installed them with a piece of tape on the back of a box wrench to holt the nut.

Last edited:
Why the hell would someone do all that work?

I got all 4 of mine out in 30sec using a Air Chisel. I then just used new nuts, and installed them with a piece of tape on the back of a box wrench to holt the nut.

X2

An Air Chisel is the best $18.99 you will ever spend. Or, use a BFH and a punch. Knock the weld-nuts out and replace them with bolts. Drilling and tapping is not very succesful and quality drills and taps are expensive.

DO NOT cut the floor, use the Triangle access hole to install new hardware.

standard.jpg

Back