• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peugeot/AX15 Pilot Bearing Help Please.

talentjeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the process of the Peugeot to AX15 conversion and I need help with a couple things.

Below is a picture of the end of the camshaft where the pilot bearing goes in. The blue circle is where the Peugeot pilot bearing came out of (in pieces) and the red is where the new AX-15 pilot bearing (Mopar #53009180AB) seems to fit.

pilotone.jpg

This is the new bearing partially seated. It looks as though it would be flush if I tapped it in.

pilottwo.jpg

So my questions are:

1. Is this where the pilot bearing normally sits on a XJ w/ an AX-15 or does it look like the wrong part?

2. If it is the right part then which side faces towards the engine and does it matter?

IIRC when they did the swap on my(sons) 87. they used an CJ era brass/bronze solid bushing.
Do a Search, lots of info on the swap to be found---

Wayne

I found numerous threads/sites/etc that listed that part number but I have yet to locate any pics that clearly show it in use. I did hear of one person using a brass bushing but the Mopar number I listed seems to be the most common part.

this is why i need help. i don't want to have to drop the trans on my girl's '89 in order to see what her pilot bearing looks like.

anyone with an AX-15 Renix era that can tell me if my pic looks anything like the way the pilot bearing is set up?

uhh thats a crankshaft, and that does look correct, just make sure that the bearing fits the input shaft of the ax15, if you have a straight edge measure from the bell housing mounting surface to the end of the part of the input shaft where the pilot shaft bushing sits then compare that with measuring from the bell housing mounting surface to where your pilot shaft bearing is because if that IS the wrong part and it should be in further then you will jam the input shaft into the tranny and cause a binding when you bolt it up, if you can bolt it up

Back