• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm Q (not a VS thead)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 4.0, AX-15, 231, 8.25 - RE 4.5" superflex kit.

now, as the title stated, this isnt supposed to be a VS thread. but ive got a question... since i learned of long arms, ive always wanted to upgrade to them. now it looks like they are in my future. my searching has steered me away from RE kit because of the price, im quite partial to the clayton kit for the ease of installation or even the treks for the belly pan design. now from reading the last 124353242 long arms thread ive come to realize that these are radius designs, which differ from the 4 link that BDS makes. i always thought BDS lifts to be exspensive, but it looks like the long arm upgrade is competatively priced. and this has made me rethink my decision on claytons kit...

are there any other companies that produce a 4 link for the front of the XJ instead of the radius arm setup?

all the people running BDS have nothing but good things to say. im very interested.

The true 4 links is the best overall setup to get, I would go for the BDS kit. They are known for good customer service and have an excellent warrantee history.

Last edited:
I have only one question for you, the OP. Why do you think a 4 link will benefit you over a radius arm setup?

I have only one question for you, the OP. Why do you think a 4 link will benefit you over a radius arm setup?

When you read the 124353242 threads on long arms the OP talked about, you'll understand.

Full Traction makes a 4-link set up.

When you read the 124353242 threads on long arms the OP talked about, you'll understand.

Way to assume...
I understand. The question was for him.

I wouldnt want to tell him to go buy a big dollar kit just so he could have a 4 link when a radius arm setup would suit him fine. Radius arms are fine for most people in most situations.

Use some sense and stop trying to show your uber jeep knowledge.

Why don't you use some sense and think before you start showing others disrespect.

What is it that I'm assuming?

I was merely stating the fact that he did his research, and in those threads he picked up on the fact that a true 4 link performs better and has better characteristics than a radius arm set up. No matter what situation you're in, a radius arm is still going to perform like a radius arm. If you are going to spring for a long arm kit, why compromise because "radius arms are fine for most people in most situations"?

will it be a night and day difference between ride quality? no.
will i ever reach limitations of a radius setup where id wished i had a 4-link? probably not.

but given the option of a 4 link design within my budget over a radius setup, is there an important reason to choose otherwise?

Why don't you use some sense and think before you start showing others disrespect.

What is it that I'm assuming?

I was merely stating the fact that he did his research, and in those threads he picked up on the fact that a true 4 link performs better and has better characteristics than a radius arm set up. No matter what situation you're in, a radius arm is still going to perform like a radius arm. If you are going to spring for a long arm kit, why compromise because "radius arms are fine for most people in most situations"?

Disrespect who?

Assuming I dont know that a 4 link is better.

Spin your words how you want. I know that a 4 link out performs a radius setup. But why tell someone to spend double the money on a setup that he will never benefit from when a radius setup will work for him fine. Its not a compromise.

will it be a night and day difference between ride quality? no.
will i ever reach limitations of a radius setup where id wished i had a 4-link? probably not.

but given the option of a 4 link design within my budget over a radius setup, is there an important reason to choose otherwise?

If its within your budget, then go for it. Theres no reason not to do it other then to save some coin.

By the way good job doing the research, alot of people skip that part.

Double the money!!!??? What!!!!??? Now that's an assumption. The BDS long arm upgrade is $1000 and change. The RE radius arm is actually more. The Clayton radius arm is almost $1000 too. So for the money you'd be stupid not to get the 4 link.

I did a quick google for BDS to see their design as I wasnt familiar with their kits. I must have looked at the full kit and not the long arm upgrade for the prices. I apologize for being wrong about the price.

Go for it. :)

Compare the kits in all aspects,alot like "Full-traction" have horrible ground clearance issues.Like as already stated,most "simple" radius arm set-up's will provide more than "useable" flex with no side affects.

Compare the kits in all aspects,alot like "Full-traction" have horrible ground clearance issues.Like as already stated,most "simple" radius arm set-up's will provide more than "useable" flex with no side affects.
anything that mounts below the frame rail is going to hinder clearance. i know the clayton kit does. can you name a radius arm setup that mounts inside/above the frame? i dont particularly beat on my jeep, because when monday rolls around it has to get me to work. but im always open to good reasoning.

Back