• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC Drop Brackets

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I picked up a set of drop brackets over the winter, and as soon as I find the time in the next couple of weeks will be installing them. Ive read lots about the brackets, but im concerned with my control arms. I have rusty's extended fixed control arms. RC says they will work, but my concern is the way the arms are bent.

RC-CA111-UV_01.jpg

Is anyone else running arms with a bend in them with RC drop brackets? Im up about 5", if that matters.

Thanks.

I have Rusty's fixed short arms for a 6.5" lift and decided to go with the RC drop brackets. With that much lift the front axle pulled towards the back. Now when I installed the brackets the axle pushed forward quite a bit as the arms are longer than what they ask for in the directions. So, the only problem that I came across is sourcing a different front driveshaft as the stock front was to short and the splines were showing.

My front axle is about 1.5" more forward than supposed to be, but this is an off road only jeep so it doesn't bother me any. With adjustables these things would not be a problem.

How long are the arms? If I remember correctly, I used 16" arms for my drop brackets at 4.5". This pushed the axle too far forward but I ran it anyways. You might be able to get away with putting the bolts all the way back in the adjustment slot of the drop brackets.

The bent arms might hang down a bit but I was thinking maybe you can reverse them and run em bent-up.

Hmm Im not sure how long they are, I only remember that they are sized for 4.5" of lift. They recentered the wheel in the wheelwell pretty good. I went with both new uppers and lowers. Good chance Im going to need new control arms?

If thats the case I might be up closer to the cost of a basic long arm kit. :dunno:

I'm running the trailmaster drops with rustys fixed lowers while at 6". Truth be told, I think it really does max out the front shaft too much.

I want to take out the bb portion of my lift to take it down to 4.5". While doing that, I'm pretty sure I'll have to flip my rustys bent lowers to be bent upwards.

Are the lowers sized for 6" of lift? Im presuming mine will be a bit shorter being for a 4.5" lift. Any other issues with the axle being a bit forward other than front driveshaft length?

Are the lowers sized for 6" of lift? Im presuming mine will be a bit shorter being for a 4.5" lift. Any other issues with the axle being a bit forward other than front driveshaft length?

There's a possibility that your tie rod end on the passenger side (under sway bar link) will end up hitting the bottom of the sway bar link/bracket when you turn to the right. I've seen alot of threads regarding this issue and I had the same problem on mine too.

DSCF6948.jpg

Mine hit cuz the axle was too far forward with the drop brackets. It also hit when I put the long arms on cuz I tilted the axle too much to keep pinion angles happy.

Just make sure the wheelbase is close to stock as possible and your caster is within specs.

I have a larger than stock tie rod as well, so this might be a problem.

But at the end of the day it doesnt seem to be an issue to run bent arms.

Well looks like Ill be finding out soon. My XJ is at a buddy's garage, he got bored today and installed them. I wont be able to see it until tomorrow, but he sent me these pics.

rcdrop.jpg

tires.jpg

Good thing Ive got some bushwackers to go on next.

Thats what I was thinking, it might be a tad forward but hopefully it's ok. I haven't seen it in person yet, hoping tomorrow.

Well its back at my place now. And it's not even close. The coils are bent, the pinion is way up. The TRE is gonna hit. The swaybar links are pretty much between coils. My bumpstops wont even line up. :gonnablow

What size arms or combo works with this? I have the stock uppers still, should I put those back on and a set of adjustable lowers? Stock lowers?

If I have to buy all new arms would I be better off pulling it all off, selling it and putting in long arms?

Last edited:
Well its back at my place now. And it's not even close. The coils are bent, the pinion is way up. The TRE is gonna hit. The swaybar links are pretty much between coils. My bumpstops wont even line up. :gonnablow

What size arms or combo works with this? I have the stock uppers still, should I put those back on and a set of adjustable lowers? Stock lowers?

If I have to buy all new arms would I be better off pulling it all off, selling it and putting in long arms?

Which way do you need the axle rotated? Does the pinion need to go down or up?

Down, for starters. So its looking like my upper is waay to long, not sure about the lowers yet.

Looks like for now Im going to have to put the stockers back in if I can still find them. Will stock control arms hold up to light wheeling with 35s?

Back