• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Help

99XJSp

NAXJA Forum User
I keep hearing a clunking noise when every I turn my steering wheel could this be caused by a bad ball joint and if so is their anybody out there that has any advice on changing ball joints?

I have a 99XJ sport current installled parts include a 4.5" short arm lift kit,
35 Inch tires, 4.0l with AW-4 tranny along with NP231 transfer case.
for the most part everything is all stock. :helpme:

how many miles are on your XJ? I just had mine inspected at 150K and they said there fine, of course my XJ was flat towed behind an RV for most of those miles.

If it only happens while turning get a friend to turn the wheel for you while you inspect the front end.

Thanks for the help just found out it is the lower control arm bushings are all chewed up causing the damn clunking noise so I will be tearing them apart if the local NAPA has some in stock.

Thanks all

Control arm bushings usually clunk whenever you hit a bump or stuff like that, not just when you turn the tire.

Did you have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while your under the front looking? Could be a loose trac bar, just saying

yea when you go to replace them get the upgraded one for a few more bucks, i made the mistake of replacing the old steering components with oem, now theyre XXXXed again

Back