• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint help

Jman4x

NAXJA Forum User
What is everyone’s thoughts on the best off road only use ball joints for the high pinion Dana 30 going into my xj build?

When I say off-road only I mean it’s no longer a daily driver just a toy I use in the mud and maybe rocks when different sneakers come along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your the second to mention those ball joints to me! I’m going to look into them more this evening!

Just a word of caution; installing a set of ball joints with a knurled body requires you to continue to use ball joints with a knurled body.

I’m leaning towards the mevotech ones, doing the WJ swap too, so looking like theirs should work no matter what is in there now! Am I correct with this thought?

I have WJ swaps on both of my XJs. Well 2 of the 3. The third is a shell, presently. I have Mevotech TTK on the lowers on the first one. I had Alloy USAs for the stock brakes, so I kept the top one. I have XFR on the new one. I will say I like the Mevotechs a bit better. They provide a plug for the zerk fitting. The XFR binds or is close to binding with the shafts. I need to work out some clearance issues there. I found some shorter, and I need to put on the flush type in the shafts.

As long as no one has used knurled ones yet I'd just stick with the SPICER OE units. They have a very long life.

Just to make positive before I order, if I am doing the wj swap I need to use wj lower ball joints and xj uppers? Can anyone chime in 100% on this?

The upper is the same for all Cherokees and Grand Cherokees up to 2004, only the lowers are different. The answer to your question is yes.

Back