• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 question

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i ahve a 96 sport with the aw4 auto. when i move the shifter into gear a lound chunk takes places then it sorta bucks even with my foot all the way on the brake. anyone know that this could be?

It sounds like it might be a bad drive shaft u-joint. Put it in reverse and does it do the same thing? I had an old '76 Dodge Cornet (what a beastie that was) that would clunk when put in gear forward or reverse.

thats wierd that you say that becuase i just spoke with my father and he said he had a 69 charger that did that, he said its because the driveshaft is hollow so if taht u joint moves at all you hear it in the cabin perfectly. thanks for the responces guys i'll check the u joints when it gets light, is it true that the rear more commonly goes than the front??

he meant the front or rear u-joint, not axle.

i would guess the front because theres that instant where all the torque is applied to it first, then it transfers through the shaft to the rear. thats just a guess, i could be completely making things up right now, but youll be able to tell if you get under the jeep and check it out

Back