• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA Clunk

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ lifted ~5". Probably 3 years ago or so I put on Rusty's extended fixed control arms. Probably a year and a half later I was getting a clunk in 4wd when wheeling/climbing. After having someone rock the vehicle for me I found that it's the UCA moving a good amount in the body mount.

My question is if there is an adjuster or anything up there. I didn't do the arms way back when they were put in, but Im skeptical that both factory bushings are gone in that short of time and on both sides. Im wondering if an adjuster like the LCA has is missing, and once the bushing bolts loosened up it started clunking. Thoughts?

It was probably torqued on a lift with the axle unsupported, been 3+ years and it wasn't done by me.

The principle of operation for this stuff is that the inner sleeve is locked in place by the bolt tension, and the rubber bushing flexes around it. This is why it's critical for the hardware to be torqued with the vehicle at rest.

Might want to loosen the hardware and inspect each of the UCA bushings for damage. Loosen all the UCA bolts at the same time but only remove them one at a time or else the axle will rotate and you'll be making another post about needing ideas to get the axle back in position.

Im doing drop brackets at the same time anyways, I figured while I had the arms off anyways...

I just didnt want to get it all apart and find out I needed an adjustment shoe in there or something.

I had the same problem on my 95 with 4" lift, but when I bought it it had stock control arms & drop brakets. Last weeked I swapped it all out for new adjustable uppers & lowers. The clunk went away. Im not sure what made it clunk, but I would guess it was because of the bushings.

Back