• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker question

mes44317

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I just finished up the installation of a 3" skyjacker lift kit with new leafs , coils , lower control arms and nitro shocks.... Here is the question why would you make a 3" off road lift kit with stiffer than stock springs? It seems to me you want soft springs to crawl over obsticals and relitively firm dampers to control high frequency body roll,sway, etc..... :dunno:

The springs in the skyjacker kit feel like they are substantually stiffer than stock. I can feel a dime on the freeway now. :shiver:

:read: If you really want stiffer springs can someone explain the theory on why?

P.S. the truck looks great I will post picks when it stops raining in NE Ohio

well the back leafs could be stiffer because they know your going wheeling with it so youll have recovery gear in there to weigh it down a little weight and it will sit lower.. but i dont really know just my 2 cents

Thats just skycrapper,should have bought a real lift kit!

You can get real stiff suspension set ups that will flex quite well. I know my set up is the same way (and I have had it in for almost a year now, still stiff as ever). I believe the more leaf packs in the spring allow more flex. The more you have, the better it may be able to flex (if done right). If you disconnect the swaybar then there should be no problems flexing over stuff. I have the BDS kit so I know its not the exact same, but still. Take it out and see what it will do, you may be suprised. Also, the shocks contribute to the stiffness of the street ride dramaticly. Different valving (or whatever the correct term is) has different uses. Some valving is made for crawling which will give a stiff street ride (made for slow compression rather than quick compression), while others are made for a smoother street ride (made for quicker compression). If it is too stiff for you maybe you could ask about swaping out shocks, see if anyone has done that and if that has helped.

you also have nitro shocks which are really stiff. i have skycrappers Hydro shocks, which are alittle softer than nitro, and there coils on my 3.5" and i can feel it when i run over ants... well.. maby not ants but anylittle crack especially the highway. howeever off the road its definatly a great ride.

dunno how new this thread is i found it on search... i just put in 3" skyjacker superride leaf packs and hydro 7000 shocks... it stis closer to 4" maybe a little more, is that normal for these packs? how much will they sag (if any) i gotta say as well i really like my skyjacker suspension, i find it rides pretty nice.

I have a 3" Skyjacker lift in my '89 XJ. Put it in about 3-4 years ago. I found the rear leaves sagged a little under my trail gear load, and supplemented them with a 1.5" shackle extension. Only other thing I've noticed is that the front lower control arms seem to have some "slack" in the bushings...bang a little..like they're loose. I have yet to address it cuz it doesn't affect performace.

Over all the skyjacker lift flexes great (with a front sway bar disco, and with rear sway bar removed). I'm running 33x10.50's with minimal fender trimming and flexes good. I like the ability to run larger tires with minimal lift...to avoid high center of gravity issues.

I don't know why everyone calls it "skycrapper"...maybe it's got a bad rap cuz it's reasonably priced...and does the job? Yes, it does ride a little rougher than stock...but handles the trails nicely! IMHO

meh my stock springs ride like crap... so if my 3" pakcs are running like 4 theyll; probably go down to three or so eventually? i know what you mean, i dont know why they get bad rep, ive seen their suspension components for the 8" complete lift, and i gotta say i dont think ive seen any hardware for an xj as tough as that stuff.

i think they get that repuatation because they are such a big susp. manuf. that makes lifts for all types and are not too jeep specific... i think pricejacker is more appropriate but sky crapper? eh my 8 inch springs imo are the best out there and i have installed two of their RR 8 inch kits and think they were very well built from pitman arm to shackles... the joints might not be the best as well as bushings but those parts are replaced pretty frequently anyways if it is wheeled through mud, sand etc. I have no problems and think the red bling gets semi old after awhile but i have no problems... if you want better shocks then 30 dollar dampeners are not the best... try a remote resevoir or bilstein if you got the dough... i have cheap shocks cuz its a jeep and will always ride like a truck... no comfort rig here...people forget that when they lift and expect better and more comfortable rides... that is not always the case unless you go with some of the nicer kits that have better kits and or long arms, coil over, etc. anyways i think skyjacker gets dumped on because they are pricey and in some cases a little over rated...anyways i love my coils and braided brake lines....

if you are concered with shocks look for an upgrade if you have the cash or run some adjustable air or oil ones makes a world of a difference on the road...
bilstein
pro comp remote res.
fox
even skyjacker has some nicer higher end shocks most companies offer nicer shocks... but ride what you got for a while i am sure the lift will settle and soften up

i got word back from skyjacker themselves (suprisingly) anywhere from a month to three months settling time, and they should settle to 3" although theyre rated for 2.5 i like my 7000 series hydros, at least i dont pull the rings open every time i flex... bottom line anything built for off road is better than stock. escpecially when youre lifted...

Back