• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for "What is that noise?" AGAIN.

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
Took belt off, checked pulleys. Noise goes away without belt.

Idler pulley had some resistance and slight looseness so I replaced it. Everything else seemed fine.

Still has the noise.

More I hear it, the more I think its the water pump. I know what I'm doing sometime this week...

Last edited:
Took belt off, checked pulleys. Noise goes away without belt.

Idler pulley had some resistance and slight looseness so I replaced it. Everything else seemed fine.

Still has the noise.

More I hear it, the more I think its the water pump. I know what I'm doing sometime this week...

Two tools for locating sounds:

1. 3' piece of vinyl tubing, about 1/2" ID. Stick one end in one of your ears and move the other end around the suspect area of the engine--you will find the source or very close to it.

2. Mechanic's stethoscope. Self explanatory, you can pull the metal probe piece off and use the open vinyl tube end to do the same thing in number 1. Downside, it will be short in length.

When you feel you have the area/component located, then using the metal probe with the stethoscope can help locate it closer if need be.

If the water pump is rattling grab the pulley with the belt off and there will be quite a bit of movement... Ask me how I know?

I put in a quart of Marvel mystery oil for the first time this past oil change. Could that be the cause? Since it goes away with the belt off, I wouldn't think so...

It's really hard to tell from the videos, but it sounds close to your power steering pump, just out of curiosity, have you check the fluid in that? Does it stop when you turn the wheel? At first it sounded like the infamous exhaust manifold crack.

Fluid is good. Doesn't stop when turning the wheel. It seems to just be getting worse and worse. Its a bit louder than it was when I recorded the videos.

The water pump pulley also has a tiiiiny bit of play in it. Less than the idler pulley had.

Figured out what it was on Thursday. It was indeed the water pump.

12297_1379293492874_1548000007_3091.jpg

100408-195820.jpg

Ah well, thats what I get for putting it off. Got her up and running yesterday.

Sorry for the tow, glad you got it sorted out.

Back