• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help removing cat and muffler on 95 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
hey so I just ordered my dynomax cat back system for my 95 jeep cherokee and I went to pull off the old muffler and catalitic converter I broke off the clamps holding the cat to the muffler and rest of exhaust and now i can get them off.

I tried hammering on it for a while but all i did was dent in the old muffler

does anyone have any suggestion on how i can remove the cat and muffler without using a torch as I do not have one

thanks

james

angle grinder or dremel, cut a slit lengthwise along the outer pipe there - but not the inner pipe. They literally slide the muffler pipe over the catalytic pipe and then put a clamp over it to squeeze it down, it won't come off nicely after that. I had to cut a slit and then use a 5lb hand sledge for a while, and yes, it did dent up the old muffler pretty badly.

Yeah the clamps are designed to crimp the 2 pipes together. After you split the outer pipe, like kastein said, you may have to use a cold chisel on it to spread it open so it will slide off.

I love exhaust work. LOL

yeah... it is... dare I say it? Exhausting.

:anon:

At least it's one repair where the answer is almost always "liberally apply angle grinder and BFH until problem no longer exists."

That's a good idea if you have an angle grinder. I've done quite a few without an angle grinder. Chisel and hammer. Good idea to wear gloves. The idea is the same. Chisel two slits down on opposite sides of the outer pipe and peel them away from the inner pipe until it comes loose. Hopefully you have a grinding wheel to keep the chisel sharp.

Did you mean to say that you're removing the cat, or removing the muffler from the cat? You probably shouldn't remove the cat, for a variety of reasons, like emissions, vehicle inspection, etc. Unless it's clogged or broken into chunks, it really doesn't impede exhaust flow, especially in the RPM range that the 4.0 operates.

a note for future exhaust jobs, NEVER use a hammer you will crack your header, just take a angle grinder or swazall to it, heck back in the day i used a skill saw with a metel disc

Did you mean to say that you're removing the cat, or removing the muffler from the cat? You probably shouldn't remove the cat, for a variety of reasons, like emissions, vehicle inspection, etc. Unless it's clogged or broken into chunks, it really doesn't impede exhaust flow, especially in the RPM range that the 4.0 operates.

Im replacing the cat

Hey,

Does anyone have any further suggestions on this original question? I'm replacing a dead catalytic converter, and having a hard time separating the cat from the muffler.

The cat is dead, and I've cut it away from the downpipe easily with angle grinder. But since the cat slides into the muffler, I can't get at it with the grinder. I can't cut the muffler, since I need to keep that intact for re-use. I've tried cooking it with a propane torch, but that didn't help. Hammering has been pointless, too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

You're gonna have to cut it... the ubolt clamp crushes the two together. A slit on each side of the tubing should be enough, then ubolt it back together and tack weld.

An oxy torch with a rosebud might get you somewhere - once the metal is cherry red it should slip apart easier.

If you can't get it apart without damage, new mufflers are around 30 bucks. Sucks, but not too bad.

Hey,

Does anyone have any further suggestions on this original question? I'm replacing a dead catalytic converter, and having a hard time separating the cat from the muffler.

The cat is dead, and I've cut it away from the downpipe easily with angle grinder. But since the cat slides into the muffler, I can't get at it with the grinder. I can't cut the muffler, since I need to keep that intact for re-use. I've tried cooking it with a propane torch, but that didn't help. Hammering has been pointless, too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
With all the time and effort of this, just spend a little bit on a new muffler. Amazon is your friend.

My solution:

Chop off the cat, then grab a hacksaw blade and cut the remaining pipe from the inside. Pull out with pliers.

That's a pretty cool idea, you're making the rest of us look dumb :dunce:

Suggestion - since the muffler pipe is still crimped inward, you won't be able to get the new cat into it very easily, but you can solve this with like ten bucks at harbor freight. Get their exhaust tube expander tool (of the appropriate size) and expand that muffler inlet tube back out.

Yep, I had that exact problem. I ran to my local parts store to buy that expander tool, and the didn't have one!

Since I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP, I decided to redneck it a little bit. First, I tried grinding down the crimp from the inside, but that was no good. I ended up cutting a slit in the inlet pipe and spreading it out a bit. It slipped together nicely. Unfortunately, I'll be visiting the muffler shop soon, as there's a slight leak there now.

Last edited:
Back