• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV Removal

bluedragon436

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to go about removing the CCV or whatever the hell the rear most elbow on the valve cover is that connects to the vacuum line on the intake. I accidently broke it the other day trying to remove the broke oil fill cap I inherited when I purchased my 1998 Cherokee, and now I am trying to figure out how to remove the rest of it, as well as removing a good one from a Jeep in the JY so I can replace it, as apparently it can't be purchased through local auto parts stores.... Every time I try to grab it with pliers or even my hand, it like breaks apart, as I guess it has gotten brittle over the years. If there is a way to remove this elbow without ruining the gasket or whatever you want to call it that goes around it in between it and the valve cover that would be great...

Oh yeah and in case it matters it is on a 4.0.... Also if anyone knows what the part number might be through advance or one of the other auto parts stores that would be cool too...

The CCV is inside the valve cover, and the elbows are just tubes that connect the valve cover to fresh air and vacuum. The elbows cost about $5 from the dealer, and Dorman also has the rear elbow in their Help! catalog (#47057 in the PCV section at most chains if they have it), and you can ream out the rear elbow to make a front elbow if needed. The rubber grommets that the elbows go into are rubber and get hard and brittle over time, and should also be replaced periodically or else they will leak. They are also $5ish from the dealer and Dorman also has them in their Help! catalog (#42344 in the PCV section).

Basically take $25 to the dealership and get all four OEM parts, or buy the aftermarket stuff from the Help! section for about $15.

The elbows pull straight out, no trick just steady application of pressure. I used a large screwdriver under the flange with a small block of wood as a lever. The grommets also pull straight out, don't let them crumble or else you'll be pulling the valve cover.

Last edited:
Turn the CCV elbow 90 degree (so the outlet points toward firewall) to remove it. No brutal force is necessary. You can get the CCV elbow/grommet, the rubber connector and vacuum tube from a Jeep dealer for about $20. Autozone also has the CCV elbow.

Here's the CCV elbow for your model on rockauto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1315943,parttype,5056

I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to go about removing the CCV or whatever the hell the rear most elbow on the valve cover is that connects to the vacuum line on the intake. I accidently broke it the other day trying to remove the broke oil fill cap I inherited when I purchased my 1998 Cherokee, and now I am trying to figure out how to remove the rest of it, as well as removing a good one from a Jeep in the JY so I can replace it, as apparently it can't be purchased through local auto parts stores.... Every time I try to grab it with pliers or even my hand, it like breaks apart, as I guess it has gotten brittle over the years. If there is a way to remove this elbow without ruining the gasket or whatever you want to call it that goes around it in between it and the valve cover that would be great...

Oh yeah and in case it matters it is on a 4.0.... Also if anyone knows what the part number might be through advance or one of the other auto parts stores that would be cool too...

The CCV is inside the valve cover, and the elbows are just tubes that connect the valve cover to fresh air and vacuum. The elbows cost about $5 from the dealer, and Dorman also has the rear elbow in their Help! catalog (#47057 in the PCV section at most chains if they have it), and you can ream out the rear elbow to make a front elbow if needed. The rubber grommets that the elbows go into are rubber and get hard and brittle over time, and should also be replaced periodically or else they will leak. They are also $5ish from the dealer and Dorman also has them in their Help! catalog (#42344 in the PCV section).

Basically take $25 to the dealership and get all four OEM parts, or buy the aftermarket stuff from the Help! section for about $15.

The elbows pull straight out, no trick just steady application of pressure. I used a large screwdriver under the flange with a small block of wood as a lever. The grommets also pull straight out, don't let them crumble or else you'll be pulling the valve cover.

I will give this a try... it is the crumbling apart issue I am trying to avoid, that is why I was wondering if there was a trick to it... I will have to remove my valve cover shortly to replace the valve cover gasket anyways... but can't afford it just yet.... but do want to replace the broken elbow before I get water and mud into my engine either through the broken elbow or the other end which is a vacuum into my intake....

Also the two parts you referred too saying they were in the Help! section are those for the rear one, with the smaller vacuum line hooked to the intake, or the larger line that goes to the air box?? Or do they work for both positions?? Will have to take a look at my local Advanced, as it shows on their website under the same part numbers....

Last edited:
good luck with the removal without the crumbling.
im gonna have to do the same thing here soon. not lookin forward to it either. not to mention the little "filter" that goes to that crumbling vaccume hose.

Back