• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump stops length?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any sort of calculator/guide to give an estimate of how much bump stops should be extended with x amount of lift/x size tires? Mostly interested in how much I need for stock and 31s.

If you aren't making any modifications other than tires, I'd say to just take your new tire size minus your old tire size, and the difference is what you should add to your bumpstop length.

Thanks, I figured that would be the idea but I wanted to make sure. Who makes the cheapest adjustable front/rear bumpstops?

Edit - did some searching for the fronts and I think I'll use hockey pucks. Still open for suggestions about the rear.

Last edited:
Hockey pucks for the front and steel tube spacers and/or longer stock bump stops for the rear.

Jeep Part # - Height

52002382 - 2.91"

52002381 - 3.54"

52002393 - 4.09"

52002078 - 4.61"

Really, the only real way to figure bump stop length is whatever it takes to not rub or hit suspension components. If you added larger tires, but trimmed enough for them to clear, and nothing else hits, then you don't need longer bump stops. You have the choice of doing something theoretical or doing what it will actually take. The second takes a little more work, but can have better results. :)

Don't you need to take spring compression into account? Over compression of the rear is not a good thing when the spring either reverses arc or the shackel reaches the limit. Do I need calibration on this?

Yes, you need calibration............calibrate whatever your eyes tell you when you look at it totally flexed out. :)

Using a tape measure and your eye balls is the best way to tune the travel on your suspension.

Another cheap alternative for front bumpstops are 2-3 dollar rubber mallots from Harbor Freight with the handles cut off. That is what i am using and they are the perfect size for my setup.

Back