• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New user, like to get some help on a long term, mid range budget build...

NickDanger_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just joined up tonight, love reading all the different threads and stuff, gives me lots of ideas.

I'm not much of a mechanic or bodywork guy, so a lot of the technical stuff goes over my head unfortunately.

My current rig is an '89 Limited. Little bit of background info on it..

I bought it about 8 months ago, 150,000 miles, original owner, traded it in at my dad's Volvo dealership. I bought it for $900, figured it was a steal as cherry as it is.

Had it lifted 3" at Les Schwab and they put their 31 x 10.5 radial A/T's on.... don't remember the brand (I really am not a big fan, they're not aggressive enough)

Anyways, so the I drove it for about a week, and then the damn thing threw a rod on me. A little research and 6 months later, I have an '89 XJ with a 4.6L built stroker motor in it. My dad and his service guys did a lot of work and research and a machinist did most everything on it. I just spent the money.

So, other then the big time motor work, what should my next steps be with this?? Its going to be my daily driver, and I want to have fun with it on trails and muddin', but I don't need this to be a serious crawler or anything.

Here is some pics of it too:

When I first bought it:
6730_522797323256_44502749_31145363_434504_n.jpg

After the lift:
n44502749_31149035_2872767.jpg

During the swap:
17480_531755820356_44502749_31465389_2040976_n.jpg

Most recent pic, stripped all the ugly gold molding and pinstripe, new roof rack w/ KC daylighters and custom brackets:

25238_532481985116_44502749_31488988_2353068_n.jpg

3 inch lift and 31's and you can do any thing in capitol forest or rock candy. although i have a friend who did every thing i did on with xj
i lived in tumwater next to ths for 6 years(and return frequently to visit friends.)

Awesome, that's good to know.

I haven't really had a chance to test this Jeep yet, none of my buddies or anything have rigs, so I'm usually flying solo and I don't want to bust anything out by myself...

With a 3" on 31's am I ok with a lot of stock stuff for awhile??

Ideally I would like to get on 33's at least, 31's are just kind of boring looking.

How much lift is required to fit 33's?? Plus some trimming too, right?

Oh, also, it seems like the fender flares should be fairly easy to get off, but I'm having stupid trouble on the front ones.

Of course, all the bolts broke when I went to take them off, but I can't get the flare separated from the body and that metal bracket in between.

you could probbly get away with a 4.5 and some triming for 33. but at that hight you would need a sye or a tcase drop. i have a 85 2.5L on 31 with 3.73 and i did every thing there just fine. you probbly wont break any thing that will keep you from driving home maybe some body damage. but you might get stuck lol. most of the forrest is groomed logging roads.

Oh, also, it seems like the fender flares should be fairly easy to get off, but I'm having stupid trouble on the front ones.

Of course, all the bolts broke when I went to take them off, but I can't get the flare separated from the body and that metal bracket in between.

double post

sorry dont know what to say bout the fender flars

Last edited:
-You probably have a dana 35 in the back, maybe start lookin for a 29spline 8.25 to swap in, especially if you plan on going up to 33s.
-Some front/ rear recovery points, possible skids.
-Then a rear locker, that was one of the first thing I did and it helped out a lot!

And trim that front bumper/lower fender flair thing!

Alright, little update of the day:

I'm currently flareless and lovin' it, and I got rid of the little front fender trim piece deal.

Looks WAY better.

No pics yet, but I'll post some when I get a chance. I'm leavin tomorrow for Hawaii, so it won't be for like a week or so.

Doesn't look much different, but it is fairly noticeable to the trained eye.

Back