• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size coil spacer?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bumped my tire size up to 33x12.50r15 from 31s with the help of some bushwacker flares. I have RE 3.5" coils up front and RE 3.5" full leafs out back with RE monotubes all around. I also have JKS LCAs and trac bar. Now I have since noticed that my Jeep has a slight rake to it which I never really noticed before. The tires do rub some up front when at turning at full lock and I worried when flexing it will rub pretty good so I was thinking of throwing some spacers up front to level it out and stop the tires from rubbing. So my question is what size spacer do you think I should go with? 3/4", 1.5", 1.75", 2"? My only concern is if I go much bigger than the 3/4" spacer if that will be too much for my JKS trac bar because they make 2 different sizes, one that is rated for 0"-3.5" lifts and one for 4"-6.5" lifts.

Here is a picture of how the Jeep sits now:

IMG_0102226.jpg

I'd leave it the way it is. When you load out with tools/gear/etc for the trail, it.ll be about level. If you have to, try throwing a 2nd stock spring isolator up front. Should give an extra 1/2"

I'd leave it the way it is. When you load out with tools/gear/etc for the trail, it.ll be about level. If you have to, try throwing a 2nd stock spring isolator up front. Should give an extra 1/2"

Honestly if it wasn't for the rubbing up front then I would just leave well enough alone because the rake really isn't that bad and you are right when loaded down for the trail it will be level. But this is my DD so I want it to be level all the time and I want the rubbing to stop. I already trimmed as much as I could before it starts to become a hacked up Jeep which I am not a fan of. I believe a Jeep can be a functional off-roader without having to look like a junker. I also don't want the tires to eat up the fenders when I flex out on the trail.

ok rubbing when flexed is 1 issue and not being level is another. A spacer will level it out but won't eliminate rubbing (but it might rub a little less often). Bumpstop or trim to stop rubbing.

ok rubbing when flexed is 1 issue and not being level is another. A spacer will level it out but won't eliminate rubbing (but it might rub a little less often). Bumpstop or trim to stop rubbing.

Oh no I am aware that it won't get rid of the rubbing problem if not bumpstopped properly but it will help it with how much flex it will take to get there. I was referring more to the rubbing when I turn at full lock and the rubbing when I flex. I have three issues I would like to solve, leveling out, rubbing when flexing, and rubbing at full lock. All of these issues are not that bad but bug me enough to want to try and remedy with a coil spacer.

At full lock and when flexed are two different rubbing problems. IE: I was at 5.5" with very cut fenders and was rubbing at full lock with my 33x12.5s. Sitting 2" higher than you currently are, I still rubbed at full lock, but not at all when flexing. At full lock means your tires ares too fat for the amount of steering throw/backspacing you have. So either you'll have to adjust your steering stops to stop before it rubs at full lock, or get wheel spacers/wheels with different backspacing to push the tires further out. Flexing can be helped by height but you of course will still need bumpstopping as well.

Ok guys I am aware of all the factors here and this isn't my first rodeo. I am not some inexperienced 16 year old with a jeep my daddy bought me and lifted for me at 4Wheel Parts. I have done all the work myself on this Jeep been wrenching for a few years now. I did have a problem when I was on 31s with rubbing on the control arms when I had factory rims still. I fixed that with some steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing and solved the problem. Now I know how to fix this problem I just wanted to get a general opinion on how much I would need. I am less concerned about rubbing while flexing since my Jeep gets to go off-roading maybe 3 times a year since I go to college down here in south GA in the flat lands and all they have down here is mud which I got enough of that in high school. I know if there was rubbing on something inside the fender like a control arm or something of that nature yes different rims or wheel spacers would be my solution but with the kind of rubbing I am getting I know I can solve it with getting the front up just a little higher. Now will the problem be completely solved? No because they will probably still rub some when I turn and there are changes in grad of the terrain and other situations similar, but that only happens some of the time but I want to stop flat level ground rubbing. So please unless you can offer an opinion of how much you think I may need to fix the problem and not make the back end look like it is squatting, then please spare me I already know I am not an idiot teenager. I was even an automotive major at my local tech college before I decided I wanted to go bigger and get a business degree from a big 4 year university.

Get a tape measure and a jack, and jack the front till it looks level, and measure how much you raised it (wheel hub to fender flair).

Ok guys I am aware of all the factors here ...

tldr, but yeah. you are NOT aware of all the factors if you think adding coil spacers will make your rubbing go away.

take your jeep back to 4wp, and tell them you need new bumpstops, maybe they can figure it out for you, cause you are not listening, then getting your panties in a twist when people accurately assume you dont know what your talking about.

furthermore, about the so called 'rake'... dude your trippin, its like 1" higher in the back, the smallest non-problem ever. i think an automotive buisness man can figure it out.

Ok guys I am aware of all the factors here and this isn't my first rodeo. I am not some inexperienced 16 year old with a jeep my daddy bought me and lifted for me at 4Wheel Parts. I have done all the work myself on this Jeep been wrenching for a few years now. I did have a problem when I was on 31s with rubbing on the control arms when I had factory rims still. I fixed that with some steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing and solved the problem. Now I know how to fix this problem I just wanted to get a general opinion on how much I would need. I am less concerned about rubbing while flexing since my Jeep gets to go off-roading maybe 3 times a year since I go to college down here in south GA in the flat lands and all they have down here is mud which I got enough of that in high school. I know if there was rubbing on something inside the fender like a control arm or something of that nature yes different rims or wheel spacers would be my solution but with the kind of rubbing I am getting I know I can solve it with getting the front up just a little higher. Now will the problem be completely solved? No because they will probably still rub some when I turn and there are changes in grad of the terrain and other situations similar, but that only happens some of the time but I want to stop flat level ground rubbing. So please unless you can offer an opinion of how much you think I may need to fix the problem and not make the back end look like it is squatting, then please spare me I already know I am not an idiot teenager. I was even an automotive major at my local tech college before I decided I wanted to go bigger and get a business degree from a big 4 year university.
Oh, well then Mr Smarty Pants, you should be able to figure out how much lift you need to clear 33s by searching NAXJA, and measuring where your tires are hitting and how much you need to get above them. "How much lift do I need to clear x tires?" is one of the newbiest questions around here, yet you wanna get all pissy when people give you answers based on the info provided...have fun Mr Auto Tech.

Also, nominated.

seconded.

Btw, You're rear bumper makes your rig look like shit.

And the missing moulding on the door, but he believes that it's possible to make a rig a functional offroader without looking like a junker :shhh:

lol i find the 16 stereotype funny im 17 have had a job well over a year along with school so i buy anything i have on my trucks myself not my parents, ive done all my own work on my past 3 trucks. i generally can do almost anything but full motor/trans tare downs which i probly could if i really had to but havent needed to. i will say im generally way more mechanically inclined then most kids my age

if you have a short arm throwing a spacer up front isnt gonna solve your problem. the more you lift the front with a short arm the further back your front axle gets sucked and intern more rubbing. fix your problem by 1. new track bar 2. coil spacer and 3. drop down brackets or long arm. it will push your axle back to stock location which is centered in the wheel well

Oh, well then Mr Smarty Pants, you should be able to figure out how much lift you need to clear 33s by searching NAXJA, and measuring where your tires are hitting and how much you need to get above them. "How much lift do I need to clear x tires?" is one of the newbiest questions around here, yet you wanna get all pissy when people give you answers based on the info provided...have fun Mr Auto Tech.

Also, nominated.

Actually I did and found that with a 3.5" lift and bushwackers you can clear 33s with minor adjustments and I helped a friend with an identical Jeep and lift do this with the same tires and he cleared just fine no rubbbing except he did have a brushgaurd up front weighing it down more. Which explains the rubbing I get so I am going to throw some spacers up front to level it back out and HOPEFULLY cure the little bit of rubbing that I experience. Thanks for being a dick though that was real nice.

Back