• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fast clicking noise comming from the front of my engine..

Shred Bro Gnar Rad

NAXJA Forum User
the ticking noise is comming from either my alternator, fan, or some other puilley i got in front..

anyone have heard this noise??

nothing is touching and the shroud isnt hitting the fan.... when i rev the car it goes away.

Noises are hard for us to help you isolate. Gotta put your time in.

A mechanics stethoscope can sometimes help (be careful when using it on a running engine) or another trick is to pull the serpentine belt and spin all the components along the serpentine belt route by hand....oftentimes you can tell which component is suspect in this manner.

also, the lifters could cause the same issue...I mean I would strongly rec. the stethoscope route and determine whether its coming from the top or bottom end of the engine...Hey also a small video or audio clip could help us help you!

Just throwing this out there but I had a similar problem when I reved the engine it would go away. I figured out what it was. It was a pully the serp belt went through. Dont know what it is called or what year you drive but i drive a '95 4.0L HO and it is a small pully center top of the engine just held on by a bolt. It hasno grooves, just smooth and about 2 inches in diameter. There are ball bearings in it and I had a few missing and that was my problem. Try getting one from the junk yard and see if it is it.

Could be any pulley. Get a cheap mechanics stethoscope (harbor freight) and listen to each pulley. It will be obvious which one is making noise. If it's not a pulley, then start listening to other things around where you think the sound is coming from. Be careful not to get any body part near the mechanical fan....

It's not the little black deal mounted on the firewall next to the AC lines, right? Those tick like a SOB.

well took the stehascope to it.

a fin on the alternator fan, is bent causing it to hit up against the alternator itself... thre are marks on the alternator right where the fan blades on it are.. i ordred a new one. hopefully this is the problem... i knew it was comming from the alternator side.

i might just go ahead and replace the tensioner pully too just cuz.

but thanks for all your help naxja. !

Back