• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how too tell

1990cherokeee

NAXJA Forum User
So my brother is looking at getting this jeep from some guy down the street from him, he is being told that it already has a 4.5 inch lift on it how can we tell for sure the lift is there?

you bring a measuring tape and measure from the ground to the front LCA bolt, then measure from the ground to the rear LCA bolt. that will tell you the approx lift height

stock LCA's are parallel with the ground so this idea should work, OR you could measure the dirty method and you can find that in the FAQ of this forum, i think it's on the 2nd page

if you have to crouch down to get in = stock
Hop up slightly = Lifted
run and jump = 42"s

if you have to crouch down to get in = stock
Hop up slightly = Lifted
run and jump = 42"s

When people get in my rig, it seems to take them a couple tries to finally get in the seat. Pretty funny to watch. I just tell them, "Just wait till I get bigger tires." :roll:

~Scott

When people get in my rig, it seems to take them a couple tries to finally get in the seat. Pretty funny to watch. I just tell them, "Just wait till I get bigger tires." :roll:

~Scott
I replaced the oooolld and worn 31's (worn down to about 28.5) with brand new 33's (measure out to a little over 33" mounted on the rig, yay!) and added another inch and a half of lift. And I did this while the wife was out with friends, and I may have neglected to tell her about these changes when I picked her up. After she had a few drinks.

priceless :)

How tall are Stock springs? we pulled his springs and wanna measure them to see what size life springs are on. Thanks

Update the measurements is 5 inchs so i am assuming its 4.5 inch lift and extra .5 inch for the 33's

I am sure you can get a stock spring height measurement but I wouldn't put any time into it. Springs come in a Height and spring rate so you could have a short spring which provides a much taller lift than a longer spring with a low spring rate.

Trying to compare 1 spring to another when they are used is pointless.

The most usefull information is to understand the specs of the spring when they were new and compare to another spring that is new.

Do you know what manufacturer the aftermarket springs are? Also do you know how old they are? If not, you are not likely to get any reasonable information from them.

.5" lift from the 33's?????
Not sure where you are going with this?

Okay do not know what after market springs are on there, the lift has been on for at least 3 years. and i say .5 from 33 because its a 4.5 inch lift and i am measuring 5 inchs of total lift. 4.5+.5=5 haha:scottm:

Okay do not know what after market springs are on there, the lift has been on for at least 3 years. and i say .5 from 33 because its a 4.5 inch lift and i am measuring 5 inchs of total lift. 4.5+.5=5 haha:scottm:

If the stock measurement is taken with a 29" tire (I am making an assumption here) and you have 33's That should provide about 2" of total lift to the vehicle (there are all sorts of assumptions, and estimates, and possible errors in this calculation, but it should be a reasonable estimate for our purposes).

That leaves you with about a 2.5" lift.

Now, the reason we are all laughing about this.........
Why does any of this matter :banghead:

Are you changing something?
Trying to fit something different?
What are you trying to do?

Michael

If the stock measurement is taken with a 29" tire (I am making an assumption here) and you have 33's That should provide about 2" of total lift to the vehicle (there are all sorts of assumptions, and estimates, and possible errors in this calculation, but it should be a reasonable estimate for our purposes).

That leaves you with about a 2.5" lift.

Now, the reason we are all laughing about this.........
Why does any of this matter :banghead:

Are you changing something?
Trying to fit something different?
What are you trying to do?

Michael

The reason i am asking is due to the fact my brother bought his jeep with the impression of 4.5 inch lift already, its a short arm we are wanting to do a LONG ARM conversion and in order to do that i want to ensure that it is actually a 4.5 inch lift.

So with that said i am pretty sure it doesnt have a 2.5 lift, now you must take in account that 33's brand new will give u a full 2 inch lift those bad boys are used and pretty low. Sorry about any confusion i am just trying to get answers..

Back