• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how too tell

The reason i am asking is due to the fact my brother bought his jeep with the impression of 4.5 inch lift already, its a short arm we are wanting to do a LONG ARM conversion and in order to do that i want to ensure that it is actually a 4.5 inch lift.

So with that said i am pretty sure it doesnt have a 2.5 lift, now you must take in account that 33's brand new will give u a full 2 inch lift those bad boys are used and pretty low. Sorry about any confusion i am just trying to get answers..

Sorry if I come across sarcastic, I am somewhat, but I am honestly trying to help you also.

Here is the deal. And the point of what I have posted above.
1. IF there are 33's on it and the fenders aren't hacked beyond the stock flares it probably has a 4.5" lift or more.
2. No tires are what they say they are in height.
3. No lift springs are what they say in height.
4. Both tires and springs tend to get shorter over time.

If you posted some pictures of the front and rear suspension system along with some photos of it from the side we could probably confirm more.

However, I still stand by what I have said and that is the ALL of this information is pretty irrelevant. Put a long arm kit on, put on different steering, put on different springs. The point is that none of these things are really that affected by what is on there at the moment.

I hope this helps.
Michael

I will get some pics posted, i have cut my fenders but before that i was running 33 of course they rubbed a little. I will post pics up tonight once i get home from work. I didnt take you as being sarcastic i was just explaining my self a little better.

Dear God, nuke it from orbit.

Why would you say something like this? Please tell me whats wrong and do not say my home made snorkle. this is a trail jeep not a dd i could care less how it looks.....

So back on topic! How much lift? if its a 3 inch lift i am buying a 4.5 long arm then that way i know for sure its a 4.5

Here, read this:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912893

What I get from the thread is that a relatively easy way to tell is the LCAs. Stock, they're parallel to the ground, their angle increasing with lift. If you run a straight-edge (piece of angle iron or something) along the frame to the front coil buckets and then measure the distance between the angle and the buckets, you should get a relatively accurate measurement of how many inches of lift are currently on the XJ.

Give it a try, see what you get.

please let me know if u think its a 4.5

It is difficult to tell from the photos but it is very possible that they are 3" lift springs with a 1.75" spacer (from the photo).

You said the tires were 33's. Specifically what size are they?

Can I ask why you are putting on a long arm kit if it isn't a DD?

Michael

From what i can see, It looks like maybe a bastard rear lift, aka possibly AAL/block combo that equates to about 3" and the front looks like it might be a 3" coil with a spacer?

The front axle looks pulled back from the CA's not being long enough, and i dont think 3" coils and stock CA's would have that much of an effect..

I need two or three more pictures..

1: of a front wheel off, I need both control arms and the complete coil spring in the picture.

2: i need to see the leaf spring, the shackle, and where the leaf clamps to the axle.

It is difficult to tell from the photos but it is very possible that they are 3" lift springs with a 1.75" spacer (from the photo).

You said the tires were 33's. Specifically what size are they?

Can I ask why you are putting on a long arm kit if it isn't a DD?

Michael

there is a spacer and the 33's are 33x12.50x15 baja claws
the reason i am putting a LONG ARM is for wheeling, its better than a short arm..

From what i can see, It looks like maybe a bastard rear lift, aka possibly AAL/block combo that equates to about 3" and the front looks like it might be a 3" coil with a spacer?

The front axle looks pulled back from the CA's not being long enough, and i dont think 3" coils and stock CA's would have that much of an effect..

I need two or three more pictures..

1: of a front wheel off, I need both control arms and the complete coil spring in the picture.

2: i need to see the leaf spring, the shackle, and where the leaf clamps to the axle.

I will work on getting those pics but i have front axle removed as i am doing gears. There is a 1 inch block in the rear, i dunno about AAL. there is also a 1.75 spacer up front. i just went out and measured it all. so with that all said how much left would i have. i am going to be doing a new lift an actual 4.5 LA...... i over looked the fact of the spacer up front and the block in the rear or i would have put it into all the infomation, sorry for any misleading infomation, we are all on the same page so break the news to me hahaha....

Last edited:
from people around me that wheel LA..... if i am wrong please get me spun up if you don't mind......

so you have no real reason for a LA. so if someone asked you to jump off a bridge because you will fly for a couple seconds, you will?

I only see a real difference between short arm and LA is on the road. my long arm kit flexes just a good as my short arm kit I had. is this going to be your d.d?

Last edited:
No this is not a DD mostly a trail rig and if i need it for a day or something if i am working on my truck but 95 percent trail rig.

and no i wouldnt jump off a bridge... i have common sense.

I only see a real difference between short arm and LA is on the road. my long arm kit flexes just a good as my short arm kit I had. is this going to be your d.d?
I agree about 90%.. but i know a long arm system will have better "extreme" articulation.

I agree about 90%.. but i know a long arm system will have better "extreme" articulation.

You mean like my articulation ;) It's a custom short arm kit :lecture:

1990cherokee said:
i have common sense
common sense would mean that you would have an understood reason for a modification wouldn't it?

There are reasons for a LA kit both on road and off road. Articulation is about the worst argument. In theory it is possible, in reality they don't provide any additional articulation. The length of your shocks will "normally" dictate the amount of articulation available.

I was under the impression one of the reasons you bought this Jeep was that it already had a lift on it? Now you are replacing that?

There is a VERY long list of items that your Jeep needs WAY before a LA kit.
Read some more, do some searches, and put a plan together. It will be a much better decision for both you and your wallet.

Michael

Don't measure from ground! Crawl under and measure from top of axle to frame channel or whatever is stationary and compare it to a stock xj. Sure every xj is a little different but your going to get an idea of the lift. every tire has a different actual size so forget trying to do all the math.

What color are the LCA's? Are they after market? (I hope so).

Back