• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this aint an emergency i dont kno what is

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving yesterday and i kept hearing a rumbling noise ans it was consistent with the vehicle moving whether i accelerated or coasted... i couldnt figure out where it was coming from and as soon as i thought tire (cause i just put new front brakes on the day before) the front driver side tire flew off my front end hit the floor i pulled the vehicle over to the curb of course scrapping my rotor the whole time...

when i looked around from where the tire flew off i could only find 2 lug nuts some guy came outside and gave me 2 other ones for 2 bucks and a cigarette the tire mounted fine. the inside of the tire was scratch up from the rotor i suppose, i brought a new rotor today is there any damage i should be aware of that could have happened from this?

i just feel funny driving now

jesus christ.

Sell your XJ to the junkyard. Buy one that is NOT a deathtrap and has not been utterly wrecked in every way possible. Between the wiring questions and this I question whether it's worth fixing every problem it has, and also, whether you should be the one doing the fixing. Sounds like you didn't tighten the lug nuts down properly.

PLEASE either learn to fix things correctly, or have someone do it, before you kill someone or screw up the wiring to the point that it catches fire.

thats some negative shit but hey every one has a opinion right! actually i dont think I forgot to tighten them I remember using the gun and then using the breaker to be sure
I think someone stole lug nuts from me or something cause I only could find two plus i am usually really careful when it comes to tightening things down like wheels

first you probably over tightened the lugs using the impact wrench, then you said you used a breaker bar? you probably put close to 200 ft/lbs on the lugs if you did, spec is between 100-110 ft/lbs.

Second you probably mounted the tire crooked on the hub, after time things just break when there is a pressure like that.

Third, the lugs probably were spread around for a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile, you were lucky to find 2 of them.

Before you do anything else make sure you but a torque stick and learn about how to use it.

Also always spin check after you put a tire on the Jeep, if it is on crooked you will see it.

This is all for the safety of you and the other people on the road, the wheel could come flying off and hit someone, a 45 pound to 50 pound wheel hitting someone at 25 mph could kill them

Last edited:
I only use a 4 way wrench I keep in the Jeep, or a 1/2" breaker bar if I'm in the garage. If you're not careful with an impact, you can wreck either the lug nuts or the studs by overtightening and stripping the threads. When that happens, your wheels start to fall off.

It's possible that someone stole your lugs, I guess. I would very carefully inspect the nuts and studs for any damage- bent, threads wallowed out/stripped, correct lug nuts (should be 1/2"x20 threads, IINM), rust, looseness- anything but clean straight threads could be a very serious problem.

And when your ride starts making funny noises or vibrating, don't keep going and wonder what it is- pull the hell over!

Last edited:
sounds like the lugnuts werent tightened correctly, and you probably didnt find the other lugnuts because they fell out and rolled somewhere. take a look at your wheel studs and see if they arent damaged. just be glad nothing major happened, aside form a huge scare. it could have been way worse.

People yell at me for the questions i ask lol
Hopefully jjacobs doesn't find this thread. he will tear you apart lol:smsoap:

yeah i think i just round off the lug nut just now trying to get my tire back off so i can put on a new rotor and one lug nut wont come off

If the socket is slipping on the nut, go to the next smaller size. If none of them fit (although you should only have ever used the correct size socket to begin with), or none of them will turn the nut, take it to a tire shop. I've seen a few guys who, after botching an install, had to have the nuts cut off with a torch, and that ruined a wheel for two of them. You very likely need new studs and lug nuts now.

facepalm1.jpg

new studs would be... the studs.

o sorry i read that post wrong, OP you may have cross threaded the bolts when you but them on to drive back home, take it to a tire shop like discount tire, they can get that stripped bolt off. Just make sure you torque the others down before driving.

Back