• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going bigger with lift, Help

Thundercats4e

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently installed a Rubicon Express 4.5 lift on my 1995 XJ Country w/ 33's. I love it to death but already want to go bigger....with out having to buy a full brand new lift kit what options do I have to go bigger, at least 2 more inches, i wouldnt mind 6.5" of lift. After the 4.5 kit im on a limited budget now. HELP.

if you are on a budget. STOP now.

most likely you are at around 5 at least. 2 more inches will net you at 7. at seven inches and short arms not only will your articulation suffer, and any hint of decent ride quality dissapear, but you will be very high for 33s. if you want more flex just trim the fenders.

there is a lot more to worry about than you think.

do you have an SYE youll need one.

do you have a DS that will work with the SYE, youll need one.

do you have extended brake lines, long ones. youll need them.

how about gears. i assume you want to go bigger tires soon too. please dont tell me you havent thought about gears?

if its just because you want it to look bigger and you dont care about going on the highway, or offroading. you can get 2 inch poly spacers and 2" lift shackles. unless you already have shackles, then sell your leaf pack and buy a 6.5 inch leaft pack and get a .75" lift shackle.

its not as easy as you think to just, "go bigger". there are alot of things to consider. especially cost...

I already have a SYE on and a custom CV drive shaft. Yeah i have lift shackles in the rear already..and the break lines...i already have longer ones installed. I do plan on going bigger with tires...but not for a lil while yet...im getting a D44 with ARB lockers and 4.56 gears too, and that will go in before i go bigger with tires. Fenders are already trimmed too.

I had the RE 4.5" kit.

I picked up some drop brackets from a local club member with braces for $175, some ZJ 4.5" coils (net 5.5" on an xj) for another $70, a 1" spacer for the front on ebay for $25, some RE 5.5" leaf's for somewhere around $350 new, teraflex 1" boomarang shackles, some longer shocks, a longer rear brake line, and sit at a comfortable 6.5" with a good ride.

Steering is another story. Your stock steering wont hold up, you will need to change it. What you spent on your lift now, you will need to spend again to get to a safe, stable and comfortable 6.5". However, 6.5" on an XJ looks pretty hot and the rides not bad at all.

FrontLeft.jpg

Back