• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Washer Fluid Problem (Pump?)

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 00 xj ltd with 56xxx miles. About a year and a half ago, my rear windshield washer fluid stopped working. Just a few weeks ago, the front washer fluid stopped working. If i press the rear washer button or pull the front wiper (on the steering column), the wipers still go back and forth 3 times so electrically, I think the actual wiring, etc.,etc. is still working.

Do the front and rear have seperate pumps? Does this sound like they are dead? Yes, there is plenty of fluid in the Jeep. It was never a problem until snow and salt met windshield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, from what I have read, it sounds like it is/was the pump. Because I do remember a faint whine before it stopped working. What have people paid for new/used washer fluid pumps (for the rear too) and what is the ease of installation of said new/used pump? I have very little mechanical knowledge. I have the tools, I am just new to working on my XJ (or on cars/jeeps for that matter).

This is a very common problem, because the placement of the tank and pumps in the fender well subjects them to rust. There's one for front and one for back, and the pumps are identical except for the electrical connector. Pull away the plastic liner on the left front fender*, and you'll find the tank with the pumps pressed in with grommets. I rebuilt one of mine just out of stubbornness, but they're riveted together, not really worth fiddling with. Mine works again but seeps from the shaft seal, so it's due for replacement soon.

I would not bother with used unless you happen to be passing by a u-pull and can throw a handful into the basket for almost nothing.

NAPA has the OEM style pumps for 14.99 here, and Parts Master has one for 12.99, which I think fits both front and rear and has a pigtail adapter for the connector.

If either of your washers is currently working, you might want to use up the fluid first because the front pump is at the bottom of the tank, and all the fluid will hit the ground when you pull it.

* edit to add: forward of the wheel

haha dang i just filled it to the TOP! you guys answered my questions exactly. Can i be so bold as to ask if anyone has a writeup with pictures?? ahha i could only be so lucky!

thanks again!

the pump dont run at all? Id make sure the hoses and nozzles arent blocked. I had a nozzle blocked, I got it fixed easily by using compressed air to blow through the hose, it was pretty cool watching the crap flying out of the nozzle lol

I replaced one of the pumps recently. There's no need for a write up- it really is as simple as pull the fender liner, unplug the harness/line, and remove the pump. When you have the pumps out, check for residue in the tank blocking the lines/pumps, and make sure you have voltage at the connections to the pump- just in case the switches are the culprit.

The washer pump from Advance Auto does come with a new grommet to fit in the tank, but it leaked when I tried to use use so you might have to reuse the original grommet.

Back