• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer pumps not working

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, hopefully this is the last of the head scratchers for the year here in what is now frozen MA.

So my 98 xj no longer has functioning windshield washer pumps. From what I understand, the fuse for the two pumps also runs the horn and wipers which both work. The ground for the pumps is shared with the drivers headlight and blinker, also working. I dont see how it could be a switch issue as the front and rear pumps are run off separate switches.

Anyone know where to go with this from here? I highly doubt BOTH pumps went out at the exact same time.

Have you been using straight windshield washer fluid? If you use the type that mixes 50/50 with water and use it straight it can gum up the pump.

Have you been using straight windshield washer fluid? If you use the type that mixes 50/50 with water and use it straight it can gum up the pump.
I use the rainx orange stuff. I dont mix anything. I use that stuff in all my vehicles. When I try to use the pump it doesnt make a single sound, silent. I could pull back the wheel well lining, if theres enough crap to gum up the pumps maybe I will see evidence of that at the bottom of the container

Yeah, I'd pull the inner liner and see what's up. That's makes it easy to test each pump motor for ground and 12V.

Checked for power, it had power. Replaced the pumps and all is well!

FYI for those that may be referencing this in the future, you don't need to remove the wheel well lining to gain access. Just pull it back on the bottom by the bumper gently and you'll have plenty of room to see and reach everything. With my lift/wheel/tire setup, I didn't even have to remove that either. Just turned the wheel all the way to the left and had beyond enough room.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I replaced both of mine sometime back.
No how they like to rust and get all crusty?
After I was done I doused them in Fluid Film.
Hey maybe it will help. LOL.

Back