• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TX N00b, New to the XJ...

TXCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall, I just recently bought a 96 XJ pretty much a base model, has a ghetto 3" lift, good engine, no carpet, roof rack, HD front bumper, 33" tires (modded fenders).

I want to do a bit to it 5"+ lift (no clue what to go with but have about a $1500 budget for suspension. I will keep the 33" tires

I also want to change out the cluster with the better full gauges one. change out the rear for either a Auto-Locker, Posi or something because I think they came with a Open Carrier? not sure I am sure the front was open though. I am thinking the Aussie for the front but the rear not sure.

all fluids and such are getting changed this weekend. I will do the tune up this weekend too.

Really want to get the suspension going for I get that wonderful Death shake and it is pretty interesting. Before this I had a full size 93 Bronco that was pretty modded. Then before that I have had Toyota, Nissan and Fords. Not new to offroading just Jeeps, My buddy has a YJ that is pretty nice. I wanted to go that route but it does not fit my practicality right now, kids etc.. But I want to do a much better lift on it then the crap that is on there now.

Just wanted to say hi and get some input of what I should do to this thing. Pics will come later

Get us pics of your lift and we may have some suggestions. We would need to see a pic of the jeep at ride height from front and side and then shots of the upper and lower control arms, as well as springs and shocks front and rear. Shots of the drag link, and tie rod as well as the track bar could help with your "death wobble." You may also want to check the uniframe around the steering box for cracks if this thing has been wheeled with a hack lift.

the current lift is only a 3" ghetto setup, ford F350 springs and blocks in the back I am wanting a 5" or more and get some input on that. It has to be the most ghetto thing I have seen

sweet, yeah I have been looking at that RE lift, a lot of people say the RC lift sucks, but I also heard a lot of people say they were good. Not sure...

I wouldnt take RC out of the question right away. They really have been stepping up their game, especially with their long arm kits. I say go with either kit you prefer, and get a SYE too if you dont wanna have vibes out your ass.

Also, suspension usually isnt the culprit of Death Wobble. It usually has something to do with steering, alignment, tire balance, etc. Search Death Wobble on here

sweet, yeah I have been looking at that RE lift, a lot of people say the RC lift sucks, but I also heard a lot of people say they were good. Not sure...

We sell a tons of RE stuff at my shop, and we have very little to no complaints about it. I agree that RC has come a long way and they are much better then they were.

We sell a tons of RE stuff at my shop, and we have very little to no complaints about it. I agree that RC has come a long way and they are much better then they were.

Thats what I am saying. If you have the money, get the RE IMO. They ride great (even though their shocks have been known to be a bit stiff), and perform even better. But if your tight on cash money, dont shy away from Rough Country

Thats what I am saying. If you have the money, get the RE IMO. They ride great (even though their shocks have been known to be a bit stiff), and perform even better. But if your tight on cash money, dont shy away from Rough Country

I agree totally, I would not have agreed with you when I first start here on NAXJA but now after reading and seeing RC product I would consider it if I were buying a new lift and did not a discount through work.

IMO that's kinda a good thing that RS does not come with shocks cause they are kinda stiff, and it gives the buyer the option to go with whatever shock they want. They're not stuck with whatever the kit comes with.

Thanks guys, it is great to get some feedback, I was really wondering expecially since I also signed up on Jeepsunlimited and got no response about my same post on there. My plan is to set aside my money, drive the rig for 2 weeks to get all the kinks out of the drivetrain and then assess the money I have left over and get my lift from there.

I like to RE, the RC has an attractive price though. I will probably either go short arm to start and do the long arm upgrade later. but that depends on money.

Thanks again for the input here is the rig

cimg0105.jpg

If you have the money for it i would deff go RE, but RC has really been impressing me lately, personally i think their both good choices. Also i would go for the longarm now, it will save money in the long run if you get a nice kit that you are happy with. If i were to "do up" a jeep right now i would probably go for the RC 6.5" longarm kit.

man that really makes me happy to hear that the RC kit is doing much better, because the price is very impressive... I will have to do the long arm kit later, out dog broke his leg so now my budget for the lift went down $300

Another great kit for the money is one of the short arm kits from Iron Rock. They also have a great number of options and offer the Rough Country kits and parts at a great price.

Back