• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35

Black out

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting a dana 35 from a grand cherokee in my 2000 XJ. What will I have to do besides put leaf spring perches on. Anyone do this before. Will the brake lines work? u joints? This is the first time Im gonna play with axles. The dana 35 has a detroit locker with 4.10 gears.

Please read my signature.

You'll be doing the same work it takes to put in an 8.8.
An even easier (and much better than a D35) would be to find a 29 splined 8.25 out of an XJ.

Putting a dana 35 into something is... a waste, especially if it isn't bolt in. Put gears in your existing axle if it's a chrysler 8.25 and you can get it done cheap enough, or get a chrysler 8.25 from a 97+ XJ in a junkyard with a 2.5 liter engine so it already has 4.10:1 gears in it.

Im putting a dana 35 from a grand cherokee in my 2000 XJ. What will I have to do besides put leaf spring perches on. Anyone do this before. Will the brake lines work? u joints? This is the first time Im gonna play with axles. The dana 35 has a detroit locker with 4.10 gears.
unfortunately for you, this is pretty much the only topic you are guaranteed to not get a helpful reply for. this and swapping in a D44a

It would really be alot of work to put that axle in. You'd be better off to sell that axle and put the money toward an 8.25 29 spline from a '96-up. As mentioned the 4cyl had 4:10 gears. You can get an Aussie locker for the 29 spline for under $400.

I was going to chime in, but it looks like Hale said it for me. literally.

your axle in your jeep is already stronger then that one (guessing it has the 8.25). You could probably sell that dana35 to pay for a locker or gears for your 29sp 8.25. If your axle is dead and you need a replacement then still sell that 35 (it's really way to much work) and find another 8.25. Your looking at stripping all the mounts off the axle and buying leaf spring mounts and shock mounts. I'm not sure about the brakes but I am pretty sure the u joints are the same. I can't see why Chrysler would change the yoke from zj/xj. The fact that it has 4.10's and a locker makes me think you will wheel it and you don't have to look far to see how terrible a dana 35 is to wheel with a light foot no locker let alone a locker. Swapping out the 35 is usually one of the first changes people due to their xjs when setting them up for wheeling.

Yeah, even if you have the 35 sitting in the garage, I would bet on it being faster to go buy an 8.25 at the junkyard and install it than it will be to set the 35 up for leaf spring use and install it.

The general rule on 35s is "don't buy gears or a locker for it, wheel it till it breaks, replace it with something better, get gears and a locker for that."

Back