• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is your spare tire is high ?

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished modifing a 1986 XJ carrier to fix my 2001 XJ. I'v been using it for the last 5 mouths as it was build by Jeep. And yesterday I moved the center of the support bracket down and to the right so I can see out the back window better. More at http://www.iidesign.info/OR_01XJ.htm

tire-carr-22s.jpg
tire-carr-23s.jpg

But why are per-made tire carrier have the tire is high up on the frame ?
images
images

Do you all like your tire blocking your view ?
And the tires being so big is it not harded to get the tire up there ?

Last edited:
it does take a big chunk of view, raise your CG and it's more work to get it up there, but it doesn't smash every time you come off a rock.

bingo - x2 on the said above - my 37 spare is angled as well to contour to rear cage for clearance and stability

oh,. better departure angle with 37s I did not think of that. I also did not think about the center of gravity changing. Anyway I'm not planning on anything bigger than 31" with 3" lift on this jeep.

If you know how to drive worth a damn, you don't need to see out of the back window. The side mirrors should be plenty. Think I'm wrong? Then tell me how millions of truckers across the world back their trucks up?

Block the back window, rip the rear view off, and learn to drive. :firedevil

On a more serious note....Do you know how many rear tire carriers Ive seen ripped completely off rigs!Some of us actually carry them aired down for this very reason.

oh,.... I'm not planning on anything bigger than 31" with 3" lift on this jeep.

Yea... right... The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a the inchitis. It is nasty disease that starts with
"No, I can be happy with just a budget boost and 30 inch tires."

You sir are already at stage 2 where you want 3-4 inches of lift and 31-33 inch tires... Within months of making this mod to your jeep you will be thinking
I should have gone straight to 35 inch tires and 6 inches of lift with long arms.

Stage 3 is marked by a simple fender trimming exercise and a story like this.

I started trimming just the fenders... then I decided to cut the roof off.... Then I needed the cage... and well then I opted to put the coils and long arms at both ends with Rock Jock 60s loaded with 5.39

It is a sad disease but we at NAXJA are hear to help skip right to stage 3.

same thing as goes in racing..."as long as I can get in the 14's I'll be happy"....well 14sec rolls around and 13's seem like an excellent idea...so on and so forth

Yea... right... The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a the inchitis. It is nasty disease that starts with

You sir are already at stage 2 where you want 3-4 inches of lift and 31-33 inch tires... Within months of making this mod to your jeep you will be thinking

:cry: omg, I'm sick!!! I think I got it bad too, skipped the budget and went straight to 3.5" and 33"s.

Thats kinda a crazy how accurate that is though. I was stock but had 30" tires (they fit, right? :D), Then went to 3.5" with 30's but then the tires were small. Then 33's because I wanted to and it was/is awesome. Now I plan tubbed fenders, 36's and long arms. Along with possible chopped top, full cage, boatsides (going to keep no more than 4.5" of lift... YES I AM STILL DENYING I AM SICK!!!! :roflmao:). But really.. now I am hooked and I plan to build my low COG rig. I will say this though: I do not regret going to 3.5" first. It let me get my bearings with where I was and where I was going. Then when I trimmed to fit 33's on 3.5" is when I got hooked on a low COG build. :D

If you know how to drive worth a damn, you don't need to see out of the back window. The side mirrors should be plenty. Think I'm wrong? Then tell me how millions of truckers across the world back their trucks up?

Block the back window, rip the rear view off, and learn to drive. :firedevil

:wstupid:

ROFL! soooo true. i'm 5.5" on 33s locked/locked. i'm stopped at stage 3.

no, really. i'm stopping here.

seriously, i am.

i can stop building my XJ bigger anytime i want.

I don't know what all you guys are yelling about. Just hang the spare tire on the rear driveshaft with a recovery strap. That's what all that lift is for, right? :anon:

as for inchitis... yeah... I thought this was going to be enough a few months ago, now I'm looking at trimming fenders (probably rear TJ flares if I can find them this weekend, I'm not going flareless), adding another inch or so with spacers + shackles, and building custom bumpers.

I don't know what all you guys are yelling about. Just hang the spare tire on the rear driveshaft with a recovery strap. That's what all that lift is for, right? :anon:

as for inchitis... yeah... I thought this was going to be enough a few months ago, now I'm looking at trimming fenders (probably rear TJ flares if I can find them this weekend, I'm not going flareless), adding another inch or so with spacers + shackles, and building custom bumpers.

I used lawn edging for my flares. I think it came out pretty good, no exposed bolts or anything. May not be the prettiest thing, but I needed approx 5" of coverage since thats how far out my tires are backspaced. They cover the tires perfectly and are plenty flexible. I bought the roll and figured I would have extra incase I tear one. Well they haven't given me any trouble and I still have half of my roll so I can make another set :D Some people hate the looks of it, I think it looks *fine* and functions great.

*note: By fine, I mean it looks no worse than the rest of my rig :laugh:

Back