• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wear and Tear Issues

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I just put my 3.5 RE SR on with all new leafs, RE shocks, new coils, new u-bolts, A-LCA's, with 31" BFGs on cragar 8's, along with a 1" t-case drop and 4* shims on my 2000 XJ with a np242 and d35 rear.

I use my XJ on road probably 90% of my time. DD (weekend only offroading along with using it offroad at work occasionally)

Now I would like to know what kind of premature wear and tear issues I'm looking at. My dad's worried about the extra strain on the T-case, tranny, u-joints, etc. Thankfully, I have absolutely no wobble, and I've heard that if I change my t-case fluid and tranny fluid consitently, I should have no worries.

What would you guys suggest, maintenance wise, to do to my xj to keep her on the road for as many miles as possible? What fluids would you change, how soon would you change it, and what should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks as always

I do my oil every 3000 and everything else about every 15,000 I also do a fuel filter around then too. I use royal purple in my diffs and engine and valvoline brand in my T-case and tranny. Tell your dad not to worry a whole lot about the strain on the T-case tranny and u joints you are only running 31" tires you will be fine, its when you start getting up into the 35" tire range and bigger lift that it starts putting more stress on stuff.

Keep you front end parts grease and check to make sure there tight occasionally. Just take it easy on the D35 and you should be fine.

It is not so much the extra strain on the parts but the extra grit from dipping it into the mud, sand and water.

It is the grit that will kill your jeep. Plus you never know when you will bash a tcase, or drive shaft on a rock and need to do a trail fix on the spot.

Well you already have a weak point in the D35, so that could cause a problem. You have shims in the rear axle without an SYE, which typically isn't recommended. Without and SYE and CV shaft, your pinion angle should match the angle of the t-case yolk, which is usually pretty flat. I have a 4* shim with an SYE and 4.5" lift in mine, so I'm guessing your angles are pretty far off. This might cause extra wear on the u-joints, but those are cheap and easy to replace.

I installed my 3.5 kit at about 132,000 miles. I also run 31's, but i do have a HnT sye kit.

I've driven from San Francisco to
-Grants Pass Oregon- 411 miles
-Eureka Ca- 3 times there and back- 320 miles each way
-Jedediah State Park- about 400 miles
-Stockton CA- 2 times- 80 miles
-Deer Valley/ SlickRock- about 300 miles
-Hollister- 3 times- 100 miles

And it still runs and drives better than when I bought it.

Jeep on.

Back