• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm drop vs. long arm kit

im still running stock location with my 4.5" lift, my buddy's long arm has been alot of hassle IMO, depending on the type of wheeling you do im sure you would be just fine with the drop kit, if i could make mine ride smoother by doing a drop kit, then a drop kit will be in my future as well.

Longarm is the ONLY way to go!! Anyone says different, it is because they are clueless, moneyless or both!!

im still running stock location with my 4.5" lift, my buddy's long arm has been alot of hassle IMO, depending on the type of wheeling you do im sure you would be just fine with the drop kit, if i could make mine ride smoother by doing a drop kit, then a drop kit will be in my future as well.

See what I mean.......... CLUELESS!! A drop kit will smooth out the ride a bit but still cannot compare to a properly setup longarm!!

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

You should see a half dozen threads beating this dead horse to a bloody pulp.

Might as well ask boxers or briefs, bottled or draft, Ginger or MaryAnn.

Robert

Just a little tech:guitar: Drop brackets solve the rough-ride resulting from pointing the near-stock length control arms virtually straight down when lifting more than 3-4 inches; the more the lift, the steeper the arm angle.
But, the drop brackets do not change the rate at which the wheel center line will move back and forth during articulation; IE: when off-road. "mall haulers" won't notice this effect, much:greensmok
The long arms will significantly reduce the distance your wheel will move forward/rearward as you compress and droop your suspension; the difference affects "flex" steer, suspension binding, and tire/body clearance.
Many off-roaders live with drop brackets just fine, but long-arms are a better solution, especially a long-arm 3-link set-up, as apposed to the normal radius arm set-up.

Drop brackets and flexy arms here. I like the stock like ride, and the engineers better know suspension angles then most the folks building long arms. After driving a long arm jeep, I went against it. They actually kind of have a weird feel to them on the highway, or at least the RE 7.5 inch lifted one did. Shock travel is normally your limiting factor (or in my case, the RE track bar hitting the axle mount) for flex with drop brackets or LA's. I might add that we've never seen a rock bigger then a football here around Springfield, but do climb dropped trees for fun.

troy1.jpg

xjs9j.jpg

Which one has the long arm?

Last edited:
Trailer Queen? DD? Control Arm Drop will work well especially if its a DD. I'm running them and it makes a huge difference in the flex and ride category. I have seen sweet rigs on both sides here on NAXJA and Jeepforum so I figured better to do CAD and gears rather than just a long arm.

Drop brackets and flexy arms here. I like the stock like ride, and the engineers better know suspension angles then most the folks building long arms. After driving a long arm jeep, I went against it. They actually kind of have a weird feel to them on the highway, or at least the RE 7.5 inch lifted one did. Shock travel is normally your limiting factor (or in my case, the RE track bar hitting the axle mount) for flex with drop brackets or LA's. I might add that we've never seen a rock bigger then a football here around Springfield, but do climb dropped trees for fun.

Cant imagine what you rode in,maybe a fluke.Long arms will out perform DB's any day of the week,on-road or off-road!

Drop brackets are O.K. and slightly cheaper than going to a longarm setup. A longarm setup should give a better ride, more articulation, and better overall capability but for some extra $.

hasta

Drop brackets: Less than half the price, all the flex you can use, and better geometry than longarms.

(Drop brackets will put the control arms perfectly level at 4.5" lift, about 2* at 5" lift, and less than 6* even at 6" lift.

Longarms, mounted at frame height, would have to be over four feet long to match the 6* at 6", twelve feet long to match 2* at 5", and can never be long enough to get perfectly level.)

hasta

Robert

I went with search. Searching will get your control arms to a well informed decision and improve your flex while crawling this forum. Also it creates less drag on the storage. :D

Back