• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE HELP: Need To Change Rear Lift

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with 3 in Black Diamond lift with AAL.

The front sits nice at 3 3/4"

When installed the rear AAL (it was a sort leaf) was no where near 3" so I put on a 1 1/2" block.

My main leaf looks a little beat but dont have a lot of cash to spend. (how many times have we heard that)

I would like to do an AAL to give me 2" and remove the block are there any AAL that will give me exactly 2" and can I use 2 AAL one short and a full length in the same pack.

I could also get 2" blocks from RRO and get rid of my 1 1/2" block. Would rather switch to the full length leaf for extra support on my old main leaf.
Any info on this would be great some one out there had to have a similar problem.:gee:

when you go with aal its never the same as new leaves but you can get bigger shackels to go with the blocks you have already i think they make them up to 2 inchs its a cheap way to get a little more lift

Search bastard pack...For about the price of shackles and/or AAL you could buy the needed leaf packs at the junk yard and get a much better setup that stock leafs with blocks, AAL, or shackles. You could even do shackles with your bastard pack down the road as well.

I have been soaking the shackle bolts with PB and they are not moving there going to snap so no shackle.

As far as the bastard pack seems it is hit or miss with the amount of lift you get maybe some one can tell me what to use to get 2".

With the AAL you kind of know what you get with the amount of lift and can get rid of the block also can all be done on the Xj.

So you want to add another AAL to your already AAL'ed pack?
If so just remove what you have and do a bastard pack and add/remove leafs as necessary to desired lift height.

Do a bastard pack and get rid of the aal and block. When I did mine I used 2wd dakota leaves, XJ main leaf with dakota pack minus overload leaf since it's 1/2" thick and that gave me ~4" of lift. If you use the dakota main and the stock xj pack should get you around 3", but would get rid of the blocks that will cause axle wrap issues.

I used an RE 2.5" long AAL and an extra stock 2nd XJ Cherokee leaf that was shortened 2" on both ends. I ended up with 3.25 of lift that rode a little firm but smooth, flexed on the 4x4 trails, and didn't sag even when I repeatedly carried 300+ lbs of cargo. (So, did I end with an AAL pack or a bastard pack ?)

standard.jpg

I have been soaking the shackle bolts with PB and they are not moving there going to snap so no shackle.

As far as the bastard pack seems it is hit or miss with the amount of lift you get maybe some one can tell me what to use to get 2".

With the AAL you kind of know what you get with the amount of lift and can get rid of the block also can all be done on the Xj.
Most things will require you to remove the shackle, buy new bolts and have at it. If you break the stock one so be it and replace with new...

May noy be the best method but think I am going to put a 2" block in the place of the 1 1/2" makes it easy and quick. I have been running the block for a long time with out any issues and i like the way the rear feels has nice flex and a soft ride. Unless some one can give me some real bad examples of block carnage :confused1

Search on here and on Pirate4x4 for block carnage. Blocks are fine in a big truck with super stiff, strong springs, but soft XJ leafs tend to die quickly if you're at all happy with the skinny pedal, rock climb with high traction, etc...

Back