• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering/tie rod specs

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i'm in school and want to do a little project.
i have access to a cnc lathe and maybe a little mill. also a bridgeport and manual lathes

so i'm wondering what size threads to put in "tube adapters" i'm wanting to run 1 1/4 DOM steering. both the tie rod and drag link.
maybe like rustys offroad (pic below)
also how can i get to to go O.T.K.?
and were can i get the long bolt?
also should i go with TRE or hiems?
its sits at 7-7.5" lift and a zj (1" drop) pitman
(i am also aware of the trac bar)

otk04.jpg

I wanted to make the tube adapters. I have the steel already. just really wanting to save the money and just get TRE or heims.

I am looking at doing this setup very soon. I am just going to pay the shop to thread my Tube though. they'll do an end for 7 bucks. You probably want to run a 3/4" heim (meaning the threads are 3/4" x 16 pitch), one left and one right hand thread on each. The heims need to be a 3/4 him with a 5/8 hole, then drill your knuckles and pitman arm out to 5/8". You do realize you'll have to move/modify your sway bar brackets with this design right? The drag link will go right through the passenger side bracket. Your adapters should be 3/4 x16 thread, then make the OD the ID of your tube. Pretty simple.

If you have a lathe you can turn LH threads!

You can always use right hand thread for all the ends, you'll just have to un bolt one end of the tie rod or drag link to adjust length. With one left and one right you just loosen the jam nuts and spin the bar.
That sounds like a terrible idea.

ive got the taps. i am a machinist so i grab an older tap that i use to hand tap a deep hole. no biggie. just got to turn them down now. not using to cnc lathe yet so they arent going to be pretty, just functional. i'm doing these at school cause i'm way to busy at work to do em. just got to figure out what I.D. DOM i wanna use. whats normal? 1.25 od, 1 id?

Back