• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower control arm skid plates?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So after some wheeling today, I looked at my LCA mounts and noticed both are bent and scratched up pretty good. So I thought, "why not make a skid plate for them?"

So that leads me to the question, I searched but couldn't find anything in the way of people making homebrew skids. Is it as simple as taking some 3/16th steel and welding it on the front end? Or will I have to get some custom bends and such to make it work? Or does the whole thing have to be removable for some reason?

If you've done is or seen it, I'd like to see some pics!

~Scott

So after some wheeling today, I looked at my LCA mounts and noticed both are bent and scratched up pretty good. So I thought, "why not make a skid plate for them?"

So that leads me to the question, I searched but couldn't find anything in the way of people making homebrew skids. Is it as simple as taking some 3/16th steel and welding it on the front end? Or will I have to get some custom bends and such to make it work? Or does the whole thing have to be removable for some reason?

If you've done is or seen it, I'd like to see some pics!

~Scott
DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1026.jpg

I got a good deal on the JKS skids - weld on of course and have a contour in them for a big joint or bushing clearance - only were i think 20? great upgrade and beefs up the flimsy stock mount

Spring U-bolt plates make good LCA mount skids, thats what I put on my new axle I'm building. Just set them against the mounts and weld them up.

Last edited:
The only problem with all of those is that they do nothing to add strength.At minmum you need some "kickers" or just buy/fab some HD ones.Heres a couple sets I made for my rigs,they are 1/4" chromoly!
0555607-R1-008-2A.jpg

0555607-R1-028-12A.jpg

0555607-R1-040-18A.jpg

0555607-R1-042-19A.jpg

Last edited:
i run the skid rows, they are beeeeeeeeeeefy pieces. mine are all smashed up, scraped, dented and bent, but my LCA mounts are NOT

LCA bolts AND 2 ubolts per side hold them on

Alright thanks for all the pics guys! I'll look into tackling this in the future...it's definitely something I need, especially with how much money I have into my D30.

~Scott

I am going with TnT Custom's (Treks) HD Lower Control Arm Mounts. They are a tiny bit more than Curries, however, they appear to be Boxed to keep them from bending when one takes them across a Rock and to Protect the Bushings or Flex-Joints. Maybe that's Shadow... I better call them first.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=129

LCABrackets.jpg

Back