• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 2WD 5 speed for V8

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Out of the half a dozen 5spd transmissions that could directly bolt up to an AMC V8 which would survive best behind a mildly built 401?

AX5, T5, NV3550, Pugeot(NOPE), AX15 are about all I can think of. Am I missing any?

Thanks!

maybe a T-56 (6 speed) out of GM's sport cars?

I wouldn't use any of those.

Try the NV4500?

I fugured, for 2wd,we were talking about a go-fast rig? If so,the NV gear spacing is too wide in my opinion....though with a 401, it may be OK.

Even with my well built 4.7, the second-third shift is excessively wide.

A World Class T-5 should be able to handle the 401, as would a T-56 six speed.

Thanks! The drivetrain is actually going into an AMX. The T10 is great but I need a 5spd for this project.

Speaking about the T5. You can pretty much swap the AMC bellhousing onto anything out there T5 wise, correct?

How "mildly built" is the 401? Are we talking 275-300 hp(around stock-ish) or new technology fuel injection/modern roller cam/"93+ octane only" compression? A real problem with all the new "gee wiz" stuff available, is that 500hp is EASY! So what are we talking here?
Oh ya: WAY wrong forum for it, but I love the early AMXs(the chopped 2-seaters)

Post a pic of the project!

Back