• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which control arms?

wheelin79cj

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently in the middle of piecing together what is basically going to amount to a RE 4.5" lift and was wondering what control arms should I be looking at? I was originally going to get the RE adjustable uppers and lowers, then I realized that if you buy the kit that you get two sets of non-adjustable arms and was wondering if I needed to be spending that kind of money. Then I took into account failures/wear of the joints, read a few accounts of the SA setups that are lifted that high causing the frt driveshaft to completely collapse at full droop, etc. and was wondering what the consesus on here was. I like the design of the JKS control arms, and they seem like one of the better setups, but not sure if I want to spend that money. So I guess here are my questions...

1.) Do I need or should I have adjustable uppers, lowers or both?

2.) What is the best performing control arms (Toughness, reliability, flex, etc)?

3.) Which arms are the best value (Price vs performance NOT the cheapest)?

Thanks!

-Aaron

First off if you are buying the kit many many vendors will swap out the non-adjustable ones for the adjustables for a small fee. Some will even swap in the JKS ones.

To answer the questions:
1) Adj Uppers before lowers. Lowers if you've got the cash.
2) This is going to vary depending on people's opinions. Ask 100 people you'll get 40 different answers.
3) Same as #2

Fair enough. Being that I have too many projects I am working on at once, I have been trying to save some money and buy a lot of stuff used. I am getting to the point where I can't wait any longer for the right parts to "turn up" so I am getting ready to order the rest new. I just need to decide which ones. For the most part I know the answers are going to be subjective, but basically that is what I am looking for, opinions from people who hopefully have been there and done that a time or two. Thanks for the help.
-Aaron

Back