• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interiors! Whose pulled their carpet?

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of removing all my carpet so I can eventually rhino line my floors. I was wondering if anyone has pics of their carpetless interior.

I wish I had pics of my interior, my '98's floor is painted to match the body color of the Jeep. I'm pretty sure that's probably standard but either way, my floor looked great underneath the carpet which really surprised me.
The only real problems I had was the fact that the floor gets kinda toasty, especially around the tranny tunnel, the floor mats would slide everywhere, and it made a bunch more clacking noises from crap hitting metal floor instead of carpet.

dont rhino line... if you get in any mud. (not like being a puddlejumper) i am talking about if you step in mud and get in your jeep. the rhino liner is REAL hard to keep clean. i just painted my floor black... looks alot better to.

I went with wal-mart truck bed liner. Love it. Only complaints are louder ride & super hot tranny tunnel. I'm looking into heat reduction.
Sorry, no pics of the thing. Its just sheet metal, a few bumps & dips. Make sure to sand & prime anything that even looks like rust & throw the rhino liner in. Easy enough.

I put down a roll on bed liner in mine. Its nice and makes for easy clean up. Just hope your floor pans arent as rusty as mine. I can post up pics later if you want. And like Codyyy said above, the tranny tunnel gets hot and you do get more road noise inside.

I can deal with the noise and the heat. What I can't deal with is the smell. that's the main reason I'm removing the carpet. I think I have some mildew or something. Plus I don't want to have any future rust problems. I don't like carpet in an offroad rig anyway.

a guy here pulled ALL the carpet from a damaged '01 and put in his 99' (i think the years are correct!) PM "Redneck" Arron....DARN good guy. We took pics that day, can't remember if we got his w/o the carpet. Tell him i sent ya.
Also, It was an all day job taking out all seat's, console, trim etc.

I pulled my carpet and wheeled my rig for a year and hated it. I can take some heat but that was ridiculous, I took the carpet out of my parts Jeep and installed it and I enjoy life again.

Sorry I do not have any pictures of my bare floor jeep. I did rhino line mine and do not have the mud problem 256offroad has because when I come back from mudding I just park it on the lawn and put a hose in the inside on full blast. There are two big drain plugs under the drivers and passengers feet that let all the water and junk out.

I hurculined mine and I love it.... here are a couple pics of it

101_0314.jpg

101_0313.jpg

101_0311.jpg

Has anyone lined just the back section behind the back seats? My carpet has the metal "guide" things for cargo or something, and they're all bent and broken and all over the place. I'm going to pull it out and either put in just regular carpet or line just the back part. Wondering if there was any feedback or pictures of people who have done just the back part. The rest of my carpet is great and I don't want to pull it (my XJ is my DD), its just that back part that irritates me.

Wanna pull mine... Someday when I get the time.

Nice job magimerlin:worship:

Nick

look at my second pic. i have a rubber mat over the back but it is hurrculines under the rubber mat. you can see were i have it proped up so i can meet the hurculiner in the front section with the rear(cargo) section

I pulled the carpet on mine and then used some of the foil bubble wrap stuff and glued to the bottom of a set of floor mats and put them down. No heat problems after that, it made a huge difference. In fact tonight it was cold without the doors on so we pulled the mats up to get a little extra heat.

Link to the mats? Do they cover the trans tunnel? Solid idea - I'd be interested in doing the same...

I don't see how alittle bit of carpet can make such a huge difference in heat coming from the trans tunnel. Is this with the AW4? cause I heard that thing is super hot.

I have the AX-15 in mine and want to pull the carpet and herculine the entire floor front to back. I've heard people get LESS road noise not more on other boards.

I would say it depends on how thick whatever you put down is compared to the carpet. I know with mine with just the carpet out of the back it is louder. It may be quieter with some kind of bed liner there but with just the metal it is definitely louder.

Back