• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At what point do you need bumpstops?

sx250xl

NAXJA Forum User
I have just about finished parting out a small lift for my 98 XJ. I will be doing a 1.5-2.0" Old Man Emu kit with 30" tires. I have decided to use new TJ brake lines as well as a 1" transfer case drop for peace of mind. I also have a powertrax locker for the rear. The only thing I can't really find anywhere is if I need to get longer bumpstops or not? I am not looking to do rock crawling or heavy offroading, but will definitally be hitting trails and mild offroad tasks. What is the general concencus?

Thanks.

Nah (but I still don't have rear bump stops :-\) I wouldn't get longer ones just yet, but that all depends on what size tire your running as well.

Well, I guess my concern is that I will bottom out the OME shocks. I dont run any sway bars at all, and I frequently drive over center dividers, logs, ledges, etc when I do my adventuring. I'd hate to destroy an expensive shock assembly. Any opinions?

The extended OE style bumpstops (1.3" longer than the more common rear bumps- came with the Up Country package, I believe) are about $11 each. I've had mine on the bumpstops quite a few times, without offroading. Considering the OME shocks are what, 85 each, and leaf springs springs run 80-150 per side, I figured it was cheap insurance.

I would slowly flex her out as you watch for ANY binding, rubbing etc and set you stop to suit. With a 2 inch lift I don't see any real problem but as do you more mods and bigger tires/lift you would want to think about limiting straps too.

If you don't have rear bumps and your springs over flex they will turn into S's, ask me how I know.

I use these bumps:

DSCN0928.jpg

In combination with these plates:

DSCN0929.jpg

Yes my rear brake lines is messed up. :roflmao:

-Alex

I have the OME hd lift on mine (about 2.5 in lift) I originally had 30s on it and it rode very firm. I swapped a set of 31s off my other jeep, and it ride a lot better, but rubs more. I don't want to lift this jeep anymore. It's an 01 and my family wagon. I'll probably go back to 30s later. With the 30s I have a pretty good driveline vibe between 50 and 55, almost not noticeable with the 31s. I am not running a sye, but I should. I didn't see what year yours is, but I think if it is older than 97, you should be fine without a t-case drop or sye. Lift it and run it for a while to see if you have any vibes before dropping the t-case. At this low of a lift don't give up any ground clearence if you do't have to.

Back