• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I mess up "tie-rod"

Kevinma255

NAXJA Forum User
I bent my tierod to the point I finaly had to fix it. I straightend it out and then welded a piece of angle to it. It is now rigid, this is a good thing (kind of). I am worried that I am going to hit a rock a little hard at the wrong angle and pop a tierod end because the rod wont give.

I am running 33s with a 1.5in spacer and cut fenders on a D30 with a pretty much stock setup.

do you think I messed up or should I be ok?

go get a zj tie rod the sleeves and tre's they're stronger, and fairly inexpensive. I got that, plus a new drag link, and rod end for 140$ from auto zone, lifetime warrenty. There's a thread on the swap somewhere on NAXJA. It's an easy swap, and I've been pleased with it.

I would be worried about that one, especially if you drive it on the highway. I'd replace it, maybe with a tie rod from a '93-98' V8 Grand cherokee (ZJ). They can be found in good condition at junkyards for really cheap.

its trail only so speed is not an issue and I do have a complete replacement linkage with me on the trail so even if it breaks I am covered, just wanted some opinions.

The zj v8 tie rod is great. My 31's on my xj steers better than our stock wj.
tierod004.jpg

tierod005.jpg

Back