• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best off road lights under $150/pair?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
At my next check, I'm planning on upgrading my headlights and harness, but I would also like to get a pair of good off road lights for the front of my XJ. The OEM lights are totally rusted and rotted out, so they're obviously worthless, might as well put something up there that works right?

I'm looking to spend less than $150 for a pair of lights, but I'm not sure which ones would suit my needs best. Where I live, there are lots of deer and elk around the roadways at night (and during the summer cows are grazing in the forest on my way home, and usually stand in the road for no reason), so I'm looking for not only forward visibility but also side visibility as well.

I found KC Daylighters at Checker for about $105/pair, but they have either "Driving Lights" or "Long Range Lights". I would like distance, but I really want side-of-the-road visibility as well.

I'd like to hear your recommendations, and pics would be great as well, thanks.

I bought 100watt "off road" lights from Harbor Freight. They were 15 bucks a pair and came with all the wiring.

I had them for over 3 years with ZERO problems, they never broke, never burned a bulb, never did anything exept work.

ANd at that price you can but quite a few as spares or just load up your roof with lights.

I got a set of hella driving lights off of amazon.com for i think $70 and they work great came with all the wiring switch and relay may want to check them out

Those look nice, but only 55W? KC Daylighters are 100W and $40 cheaper.

They come with 100W bulbs. Mine were installed about a week after I put the lights on. Only decent pics of them I have for some reason.

RC3-09003.jpg

RC3-09034.jpg

If they come with 100W then thats much more reasonable, but in the description for both of those this is what it says.

Features: High Impact, Black Resin Body
55W Halogen Bulb
Polished, Hardened Glass Lens
Multi Function Reflector
Multi Direction Mounting System
Available with Round or
Rectangular Body

gotta stay away from the REALLY cheap stuff, it totally ruins the aesthetic of your jeep imho...
chuck norris wants his truck back.

hella 500 + HID, soon to be upgrading to lightforce

gotta stay away from the REALLY cheap stuff, it totally ruins the aesthetic of your jeep imho...

I have a pair of lights that i picked up for 25 bucks, id say thats pretty cheap. ive had em for about a year, the plastic is the same kind of stuff the flares are made of and they have faded a little, the bolts and exterior screw rusted, so I could go pick up some high grade hardware for another 10 bucks and make em bullet proof.

x2 in the Hellas. I want to upgrade mine to HID. Do you have a pic of them with the HID's on xcm?

If they come with 100W then thats much more reasonable, but in the description for both of those this is what it says.

I meant they come with an extra set of 100W bulbs. The bulbs that are actually in the lights when you get them are 55W. It's two screws to take the housing apart and swap them. The 'covers' that come on the round ones are more like grilles, so the lights are bright as hell even when 'covered'. This way I can stay legal, but if someone cuts me off, I can still let them know I don't appreciate it with two 100W spotlights directly in their rearview.

pilot navigators from amazon. Exact same thing as a Hella i cant tell a difference from my nav's to my buddy's hella's, the covers even work on eachother. And the Pilots are only 25 bucks on amazon shipped

KC daylighters light up the night like no other

kragen HIDs i have 2 7'' on top of my jeep they are awesome, i had daylighters and hellas, they are much better. on the way to the dez i turned them on and me and 3 trucks behind me were drivin 65 with no other lights at all no problem

x2 in the Hellas. I want to upgrade mine to HID. Do you have a pic of them with the HID's on xcm?

i do... but i must make a disclaimer first, its a poser shot, and actually shows NOTHING WHATSOEVER....
i run the long range housings, with a bajahid kit. definately less than $150 (got the hella's at an offroad expo for $50 a set)
if i had to start over, i'd pickup the hella 4000 non-hid and convert those, the build quality is MILES above the 500's i cant keep aimed...

KC 5x7s kit: $104.99 http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&kw=kc+5x7

ive had the KC daylighters and the KC 6x9s, but i like the 5x7s the best. theyre plenty bright and are not overkill. comes with 3 lenses (driving, fog, amber) and all the wiring. they have a 55w kit or a 100w long range kit for the same price.

the outermost pair on the lightbar are my 5x7s (inner are just a cheapo wally world pair tied into my highbeams)

PB010149.jpg

Back